Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Edible composite.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by john keates, Mar 2, 2006.

1. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    So as to carry on my tradition of asking about whacky ideas, It uccured to me that it might be possible to make an instrument out of cheap, home made composite.

The great thing about composite material is that you can tune it by varying the balance of engredients and the baking time.

One composite that can be made chaply is Bran and egg. I wouldn't expect it to be great but it would be great fun and, with the addition of some sugar, could be quite palettable.

Are there any other ways to make a cheap composite?

P.S... it has uccured to me that bran and egg might not be all THAT cheap compared to some woods... but still...

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    clay and straw make another great - and cheap in Georgia! - composite. Not too good tasting, though

all the best,

R

3. :eyebrow: , this is all im doing right now

4. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Hmm.... clay and straw... that could work but I think it would be kinda heavy. Might be cheaper than bran and egg though...

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Personally I've always liked the Steinberger plan of wood shavings and glue. Just think how cool a bass would look made from a random mix of exotic hardwood shavings.

Of course, that much epoxy or polyesther would cost a pretty penny, and it'd likely taste terrible even with sugar added.

One question, why are you thinking of eating your bass? Why not just make a bass shaped cake and eat that while playing a regular bass?

-Nate

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow: :eek: :D

post of the week

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    wierd stuff going on in here.

8. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    I overcooked my oatmeal this morning ... I think this now qualifies as an 'edible' composite

... now where did I put that Steinberger mold :D

all the best,

R

9. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    We could drop edible instruments over poor countries where simple pleasures are much valued and where desperate times frequently call for desperate measures.

10. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    if I had a dogwood veneer over flame maple, I'd have a Korean BBQ composite, right?

:bag:

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ...?

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Somehow I can't imagine a granola bar having a good tap tone.

13. My friend and I were concieving a 'Toaster/Bass.' It makes toast while you play bass, via an external power supply, and can be angled up towards the player or outward to give the audience a taste. Does that count? :D

I think peanut composite would give a nice meaty slap tone...

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There is a wood glue that contains ground pecan shells...

15. O.O

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    If I ever become stranded on an uncharted island in the South Pacific with nothing but my edible bass, I'd immediately stop thinking "Why in God's name did I get an edible bass?" and start thinking "Mmmm.... beef teryaki flavored!"

Personally, I think I'd starve before I ate my bass, or maybe I'd just eat the parts I don't need, like the lower horn. Starving and stranded or not, the bass is no good if it's not balanced right.

17. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    plus, if you're eating your bass, you'll wanna loosen the tension of the strings, the last thing you want is to be knawing through the neck and have the headstock smack you in the forehead. then you'll have "fender" imprinted in your skull for like a week...

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Fixed it for you...

19. I can see it now.... my very first gingerbread bass! Complete with gumdrop knobs and licorice strings. Now for some ant repellent....

20. I thought very seriously last week about making a guitar out of epoxy and various breakfast cereals. Cheerios for the body, shredded wheat (get it?) for the neck, fretboard inlaid with those marshmallows from Lucky Charms.

Might need a stronger cereal for the neck though...maybe Grape Nuts or something.

I may actually do it.