1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Educate me about Dimension/Stingray basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felken, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dimension.

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Stingray.

40 vote(s)
    69.0%
  3. Carrots.

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    The Precision bass is known for it's warm tone.
    The Jazz bass is known for it's bright tone.
    The Rickenbacker is known for it's trebley punchy tone.

What tonal characteristics do Fender dimension basses and Stingray basses offer?

I'd like to know as much to the dimension/stingray bass as I do with the precision, jazz and Rick.

Thanks for your help.

2. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    An answer of any kind would be nice...

Herrick likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Pretty easy to go to a decent music store and audition them yourself. Better toss G&L into the mix. If Fender made a lefty Elite Dimension, I would find a way to have one.

4. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    Stingray - Clanky
    Dimension - I don't know I only played one.

5. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Laurie Bass likes this.
  6. Farrin D

Farrin D Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think Stingrays/Dimension basses have a certain bite to them. I have a dimension and love it! The tone for either is of those basses is more aggressive, but you can of course dial them in how you like it via active EQ. Hope this helps!

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Stingrays are aggressive and punchy. But they can also be deep and warm as well.

Never played a dimension.

Felken likes this.
  8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    String Ray and Dimension really are completely different creatures. Both bright aggressive instruments, modern sounding but don't sound like one another. Describing the differences in words is really not that meaningful. Find some recordings, or better yet, go play these axes at a music store if possible. I own both, love both for different reasons.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Passive HH model Dimensions are super nice. Not quite a Stingray and not quite a jazz. Very different animal.

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Stringray is pretty versatile. Can be clanky if you turn the treble up too high, but that is easy enough to fix. I would say the defining tone is punchy or in your face, sort of regardless of where the EQ is set. Also, that is based on my experience with my Single H Ray. The HS or HH would be more versatile.

I've only spent a brief time (maybe 10 minutes) with a dimension. I was expecting it to be stingray like, but it was kind of bland to my ears. Not as aggressive, more refined if you wanted to put a positive spin on it. Nice enough bass, just not my thing

11. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    To me they are in the same general category which is mid-range punchy. The Stingray is brighter than the Dimension which is why it's so popular for slappers. Both have more growl than a P which to me is a smoother mid-range bass.
    For reference, I think of Jazz basses as also growly but thinner. I think of Rics as deep/bright.

Felken likes this.
  12. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    The first video is great! She's doing a great job, love it. (And she's cute)

The second video is probably the worst demo video I've ever seen. He plays with a pick, then higher registers with chords, and then slap. Really??!? No fingerstyle??

Nomogram and Chuck M like this.
  13. joeaba

joeaba

Aug 20, 2015
    Georgia
    Both are fantastic basses. I have an american deluxe dimension HH. I'm happy with it, but I dont like the position of the toggle switch.

14. For what it is worth..I have a Chinese made Modern Player Dimension bass..that I took in on trade. It has it's own sound...not as deep as my Precision and not as bright as my Jazz but quite a bit of mid-range punch.

Linnin likes this.
  15. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Feel Free to look for other examples for yourself - you can then post one and show everyone a really great demo - actually, what the Stringray video does is actually demonstrate the sound characteristics of that bass very accurately. Since you asked the question What tonal characteristics do Fender dimension basses and Stingray basses offer?, these clips answer that question. There is finger style in that video... perhaps you missed it. Watch again. In addition to that chords he is playing Low E and Low A.

16. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I owned two Stingray's. Never clanky. You must have played one that needed a setup.

17. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Stingray's have an aggressive, in you face, mid-forward tone. They can still be warm though.

18. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    describe this then

?

Felken likes this.
  19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I just got a classic stingray. I own 2 P Basses and a 5 string Jazz. The Stingray sits in between those two in a way, it just matters how you play it. The treble knob is sensitive when you boost it past the middle, so if you keep it a little lower the bass will be very midrange forward. If you boost the treble it can get very bright and scoops the mids more.

The only way I can describe the classic ray is that it is a modern classic. It has the ability to sound more old school and midrange focused like old Sister Sledge records with the preamp more neutral, or like a modern fusion style bass with the preamp boosted a bit. It is quite responsive, which adds to the modern traits.

The best thing to ask yourself is if you like the defined sound of a bridge pickup. If the answer is yes, you will probably like a stringray. I should note that I tried all versions - regular, classic 4 and SR5 and the classic 4 to me was much different, in a good way.

wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Excellent video, and I speak french so I understood what he was saying.

kkaarrll likes this.