1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effect for Tube Warmth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I love the tone I'm getting from my P Bass through the Tube Screamer with a little of bit gain. But as you may know, the TS simply kills the low end.

Is there an effect pedal that can give me a TS-like tone without killing the low end?

2. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    what about the TS's sound do you like?

3. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Green Rhino perhaps?

SunnBass and skulletwhip like this.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The voodoo lab sparkle drive or the way huge pork loin would be right up your alley. and if money is no option, check out the maxon hybrid bass driver.

5. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The Dr. J Sparrow does low gain OD and tubelike warmth very well. Plus it's a cromulent DI box too.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    If you like that tone just get a tube screamer that has been modded for extended bass?

Both Keeley and Analogman make one.

7. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    HBE Hematoma is the single best bass TS (my favorite in general) I've ever tried. It also has a footswitchable boost.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hardwire CM-2 is a tube screamer that does not clip your bottom end, and can actually add some. They are a steal at less than $100 new and $60-ish used.

hintz, SunnBass and Dash Lashes like this.
  9. There are tons of pedals out there that would do the job. Also, not all TS will kill bottom end. Finally, a TS is not exactly the pedal that I would use to get "tube warmth", IMO/IME.

If you love the tone you have, stick with it. If you think there is low end loss, consider adding a blender pedal.

Otherwise, maybe you can post some more descriptions of the tone you are looking for. With hundreds (thousands?) of dirt pedals out there to choose from in many different flavours, details help to give a good recommendation. :)

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
  11. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    Depends how much you want to fork out, but DHA's pre's have tubes and offer that true tube warmth and overdrive with absolutely no bottom end loss.

Attached Files:

12. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The Sparkle Drive is perfect for this, as long as you don't need a lot of drive (IMO the fullest bass tone on the Sparkle Drive come at blend and tone settings that reduce the drive).

13. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Barbershop .!... I've tried several pedals for that low gain tube effect ... so far the Barbershop seems to be working the best ... I also think the TC Spark might do the trick having bass/treble

also currently have a Visual Sound Rt 66 V3 ... which seems better for gtr than bass , but might be OK with some more tweeking ...?! but it's more distortion than a slight tube breakup kinda warmth

tried ... Sparkle Drive , Maxxon tube drive , blue tube , darkglass B7K , fulltone , tc darkmatter , ... just in the last couple yrs ... tried many others I can't even remember over the decades ...

I do look for stuff that will work on both bass and gtr ... and maybe keys ( electric pianos or organ )

blindrabbit and SunnBass like this.
  14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    blue tube 903

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Joyo American Sound. 30.00 can't beat its bang to buck. You won't lose any low end and you have control over Treble, Mids, Bass, Voice, Drive. Also the Bad Monkey by Digitech is really good. I've used one for ten years and had no loss of low end.

SunnBass likes this.
  16. DriesG

DriesG

Feb 27, 2009
    Gent (Belgium)
    Not really TS, but I love the EBS Valve Drive DI for tube sound. From mild to full tube drive/distortion with a massive lo end.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    The Sonic Spark IMHO does a good job.

18. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Fairfield Barbershop yet.

19. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Cromulent- there's our word learning for the day.

Rain Wash Me likes this.
  20. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    This thread's greatness has been embiggened by the cromulence of its posts.