1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effectively Using a Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DannyBob, Jun 5, 2014.

1. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    I did do a search, honest, but got bored and so decided to just ask this as it would be easier...

I think I am right in thinking if I was using a power amp and preamp set up I would run:

Bass -> Preamp -> Power amp

However what if the power amp has 2 channels? Do I just run it into one input/channel and turn to other own down to zero?

Thanks,

Dan

2. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    it does not matter. if you plug it into channel one, you only get sound from channel one. Unless that is how your poweramp is bridged

DannyBob likes this.
  3. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Thanks, just wanted to be sure before I spent any money

4. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    What kind of power are you looking for?

5. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Probably around 500w or so

6. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    You might be better of getting a Micro head if your looking for that amount of power.

7. What pre amp and power amp are you looking at? What cab do you use? What kind of music do you play?

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Many amps can be set to bridge mono, meaning that both channels work together to effectively double the power of a single channel. I do this with my Crown. The advantage to using a seperate power amp is that it allows me to swap out preamps. This can be a very expensive habit, feeding the inevitable GAS, so I'd caution you to be careful. If you don't intend to do this, go with an integrated amp as suggested. Some pre amp/power amp combos don't work all that well, the pre amp may not have sufficient signal to drive the power amp. TB is a great place to researh this topic.

9. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Thanks for all the info, but honestly I'm not looking at buying one or anything just yet, just want to learn how to use them best :)

10. Danny, getting bored is not a great way to do research. In essence to save you some reading you want us to type out again information that has been gone over time and time again.

11. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Yeah, pretty much :/