1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effector 13 Dark Boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swift713, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Anyone have any experience with this pedal? How much drive can you get out of it? Recommendations? Warnings? :D

2. Costyou

Costyou

Aug 30, 2007
    Budapest, Hungary
    Excellent. I use it with different effects (filter, chorus, etc.) and it works properly. It has even breathed life into my Dod FX25B. I can recommend it absolutely.

3. I recommend it highly.
    The DB goes from boost to mild distortion, with gobs of low end.
    I have mine at the end of my pedal chain, because I like how it kicks up the bass and thickens the sound of other pedals.
    It’s also great for making guitar pedals sound really good.

MM

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Thanks, I think I may check it out. How mild is the distortion? Like subtle or just not heavy?

5. Just not heavy.

MM

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    cool

7. why is it called dark boost??? does it darken your sound or is it because it retains the low end???

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Both. The story at Devi Ever/Effector 13 was that it was designed as a bass OD/pre but that it makes a guitar(Strat) sound fatter(Les Paul). I was mostly interested in it as a fatter/darker sounding OD than the typical Tube Screamer variety. IIRC they're not expensive either.

9. I love mine. It works great for bringing back low end lost when using guitar pedals. If you want the most insane doom sound ever run this after a cranked 808 into a tube amp. Warnings! dont get to crazy. Speakers will die!

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Anyone have any clips? I'd love to hear how much OD can be gotten fro this pedal.

11. permanent_ice

permanent_ice

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    Does anybody know the difference between devi ever dark boost and effector 13 dark boost?

12. aens_wife

aens_wife Commercial User

Jun 14, 2011
    Co-owner, Dwarfcraft Devices
    Same pedal. She just changed the name of her company for a while.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Northern California
    I hate to rain on your love fest here but my opinion is different on this pedal.
    I thought the build was poor; I really did not like how this pedal was built and finished inside. It was really sloppy.

From a tone stand point of view it did nothing for me. Sure, it did kind of a dark clean boost all the way to a light fuzz but I can think of many pedals that can do all this and do it better.The effect was also uneven from strings to strings. If you buy the pedal new, be ready to lose a lot of money on the resell.
    I resold mine in perfect condition and lost $40 on it. Pretty bad on a $100 pedal.

I have tried several Devi Ever pedals and despite the fact that she has legions of fans, these pedals do nothing for me. Talk to me about Stomp Under Foot, Barber, Fulltone, Homebrew Electronics, MXR or Fuzzrocious and I get excited - Devi Ever's creations leave me cold.