Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects beginner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bboy, Feb 23, 2004.

1. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
    I have recently joined a band. Cliff Burton is one of my main influences and it will be Metallica and other such music that we will be playing. I was wondering if I should I invest in an effects pedal and if so do you have any advice on what kind to get. Bear in mind that I have no previous knowledge of bass effects.
    I know this question might be a bit vague considering the range of effects available but which would I use most. Thanks in advance.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Cliff used a Big Muff and Morley Power Wah. This is all I know. :bag:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If Cliff is such an influence, you should look into a Big Muff, it's a nice overdrive that I've sworn by for years. Bear in mind, Cliff used a Sovtek Big Muff, the American Reissue Big Muff has a warmer tone, is true bypass (meaning it won't suck tone from your signal while the unit is off) and only costs about $10.00 more. As far as bass, overdrive is just about a simple as effect as you can get, before getting into modulation, filters, and delays, which tend to be seldom used.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I can hook you up with a deal on a sweet overdrive box from BOSS. It's fun to mess around with. Check out the for sale forum.

-Mike

5. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks mj, but I think I`ll stick with the big muff. My friend used to have one and he highly recommends it too. tplyons, does the colour have anything to do with the pedal?
    Only I`ve seen silver ones and black ones. Is the black one the Russian one?

6. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    The silver one is the US one, and the black is the Russian (there were also green Russian ones for a while before the black ones). They do sound different - I posted a clip of an A-B test of my US and Russian ones fairly recently - look back in the archives...

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I remember that forum, wingnut.

8. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
  9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are two, the black one there and the old school green one that looks like a Sherman tank, those things are HUGE! The black one is the one wingnut used in his demo I believe and it's a sweet tone. Like I always say, the Silver US ones tend to be warmer sounding than the Ruskies, which tend to be more agressive sounding. Cliff Burton used a Sovtek. EHX also has out a new Double Muff, which I bought and loved. It's somewhere between the two, and I'm actually selling mine to fund my upright bass's trip to the doctor. PM me if you're interested.

10. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks for offering, but I still have loads to save before I can get a pedal. I`m still repaying my parents for my amp too.
    I notice on the double muff the knobs are labeled muff1 & muff2. Are both the Russian and American models built into the one pedal?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're neither the American or Ruskie circuit. The Double muff actually has the generic circuit, more similar to the American, and the sound is there, but the sustain and tone knobs aren't. In single mode, it's transparent, in double mode it can be quite aggressive.

12. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004
    Excellent, thanks. I think I will go for the Russian one but I`m not sure. Hopefully I`ll be able to try out whatever I buy first.

13. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Sound-wise, the Russian one is best, but I think the American ones are a better quality product, and from the people I've talked to, the Americans break less.

My Russian is broken right now, and it never felt like a very sturdy pedal when I saw the inside. The outside is tough metal, but the innards look a bit shoddy. Treat it right if you get the Ruskie, and it'll probably work, but be warned.