1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects loop (Markbass LM, Warwick LWA 1000)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneNote, Nov 26, 2018.

1. OneNote

OneNote

Sep 28, 2015
    Holland
    I have a few questions on effects loops (Markbass an Warwick LWA 1000); I hope someone can answer them.

First: I have a Markbass CMD121 and I am very happy with it. Sadly enough, if I want to double on electric bass and upright bass, using a seperate preamp for the upright bass, it is not possible to use the effects return input to use only the poweramp of the Markbass without the EQ. The mod to change the effects loop from parallel to series (see e.g. Effects loop: parallel to series for Markbass LM III – Our Technical Narrative ) still leaves the effects return to be sent through the EQ section, so that is not the solution. Several threads on this are already on this forum (and other sites)
    Still, there is a little button on the back of the Markbass labeled "pre EQ post EQ". I can only imagine that this applies to the effects send behaviour. So, correct me when I am wrong, but if you use the post EQ setting, the efects send signal is EQ-ed already and then again EQ-ed, for the second time, with the same EQ settings, after it is fed to the effects return. What sense would that make?? I don't use any effects, I don't even have one, but this puzzles me... Could anyone eplain this to me?

Second: I am considering to buy a Warwick LWA 1000 for doubling on electric and upright bass. I read several threads about it and it seems like a decent, clean amp. Though I could of course use one channel for EB and the other for UB (with or without a seperate preamp, e.g. Headway EDB2 or simular, for extra's like phantom power and notch filter), I wonder what the effects loop on this amp behaves like. The manual says the loop is in series. It doesn't say whether the effects return is fed through the EQ section(-s?). Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
    (and apologies for my limp English)

2. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    The explanation is simple: the pre/post switch affects the XLR Line out, not the FX loop

GuitarRebel likes this.