1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects stopped working with my amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kabal, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    I have a GK-RB700. I've been getting more into pedals and have been using them with fantastic results. A couple days ago I go to practice at a studio my guitar player rented. I wanted to bring a fuzz but forgot it so he gave me a boss mega distor. I plug it in with a 9V boss adapter I switch it on, sweet distorted goodness! I turn it off, adjust the pots switch it back on....and nothing. I press it a few more time on and off but the only sound I get is a high pitched whine in between the nothing. When the pedal is off my clean tone works just fine. We practice without it and my worry is mild.

Fast forward to last night. I bring my TAFM to a show for the first time. I've used this pedal with the same rig I was using for practice and it sounds awesome! I want to set the tone/volume for the room. Plug everything in switch it on....nothing. I switch them and find out very quickly that the "in" and "out" was set correctly. I give the pedal to my guitar player, works like a charm. I even try sending it through the effects loop and still nothing! What's going on here!??!!!?!?! :help::help::help:

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    had the same problem long time ago with a Peavey PA head.
    no pedal would work in the input, but they would work ok in the effects loop.

does any effect work with the GK?

the boss sounds like it has a bad switch, or the electrical components used for the switching are damaged, or being temporally charged with DC from the GK head, and making the circuit unable to work again until the DC has discharged.

Likewise your fuzz pedal might use a positive ground instead of negative ground. Not talking about the polarity of the DC jack. Just the way the actual circuit inside is wired. So when used in conjunction with other pedals it can be a direct short and kill the signal or just hum like crazy if it does work.

positive ground pedals have known issues with guitar players as well, usually cause problems with wah wahs and delays.
    likewise with that peavey pa, some pedals worked some didnt.
    the wah didnt work in the input, but did work in the loop.
    Lame.

sounds like a combination of non effect friendly amps, and poorly designed pedals. no way to fix. isolated pedal power might work, but its just a crutch for poo poo. sorry

3. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    All my effects worked with the GK before this debacle and all of them took a Boss 9V. They're all center negative

4. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    Bump

5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    No VooDoo. Calm down.

Start with one bass, one amp and one cord. The add one cord and one pedal. Check it with other cords. While doing this check the power supply of the pedal. Use it with batteries and power supply. Note are lght coming on like they should. When it's not working can you hear a cable being unplugged?

It's possible you have the volumes turned down too low. While testing never turn the amp volume up too high. That's begging for a new speaker. In fact the lower the volumes you test at the better. There's no drummer.

You'll probably find the issue in this stage.

If not start checking each cable. I would recomend eith building or buying a cable tester

Make sure each cord is labeled. Keep a note book of each cable and what happens.

If you find a cable that is no good throw it out so you don't go through this next week. And the week after. And the week after. Saving a beat cable is saving trouble.

Imagine you get a chance to audition with the band of your dreams and you hit the fuzz button and you get nothing.