1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eggpin tips

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by A Spotless Mind, Aug 16, 2012.

1. A Spotless Mind

A Spotless Mind

Aug 18, 2009
    Hi all, I'm going to get an eggpin pretty soon, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice with trying to find a good height and angle. What are some things I should keep in mind when deciding?

This is my first time getting involved with the world of bent endpins, so any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Hi,

consider making your own bent endpin. I have made my own - see picture attached.

Cheers,

Ton

Attached Files:

3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I've been meaning to make one forever and even have the piece of rod ready to go. Do you have a problem with the end pin turning under the set-screw?

4. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm just curious. How many, percentage-wise or by ratio, bassists actually use bent endpins-- and for the sake of simplicity-- I mean any kind, type or brand of bent endpin?
    Is it, for example, 5%? 1%? Or...two out of 100? etc.
    I have never played a bass or even seen a bass that had one installed. The concept sounds interesting, and I'm all for anything that can make playing our unwieldly instrument easier.
    Thanks.

5. See vids from Rufus Reid, Donovan Stokes, Glen Moore, Renaud Garcia Fons, Rabbath and I also thought John Clayton was using one.

Using a bent endpin makes playin the bass a lot easier. I am using a bent end pin because I got an injury.

Go to a blach smith and let a steel rod of 10 mm or 12 mm bent like the picture attached above and put it on your bass. You will be amazed by the comfort. Especially when playin in thumb position.

6. A Spotless Mind

A Spotless Mind

Aug 18, 2009
    Sorry guys, I didn't actually mean a "bent" endpin. What I should have said is I'm getting my bass drilled and getting a laborie pin. Anyone still got any tips? Thanks.

7. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks, TonyD. I'm going to try it out. It seems easy enough.
    GG

P.S.
    I saw Rufus last year at our local jazz festival in Delaware Water Gap, and I don't remember his having one.

8. ADissen

ADissen

Oct 5, 2008
    Baltimore MD
    Try everything. A good starting point is having the eggpin go straight back at a 45 degree angle. After to see how you and your bass like that, offset it away from you 8 degrees, see how you and your bass like that and then you could change the angle to just 40 or 35 degrees or keep it at 45 and offset it 12. Even offset it the wrong way just to experiment with how it feels. But the most important thing is to not rush yourself and try all the options available.

9. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz