EH Black Finger - Anyone Still Using These?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Heavy Blue, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Down at the local ma and pa there’s a used Black Finger.

I did a TB search and reviews are mixed. Primarily due to excessive noise in some units due to either noise from the power supply or EH’s allegedly dodgy QC. However these reviews are pretty old.

I’m going to try it out this week and see if the noise issue is in this unit cause if it isn’t too noisy it seems to be a decent unit. It also appears to be able to be used as an OD as well for those so inclined.

Some seemed to think that it didn’t work very good with active basses as well.

Also, can a replacement power supply be had?

So is anyone still using one of these? What’s your take on this?

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. If the price is right I'd try it out but as an owner of a Tube Zipper that's the same design and uses the same power supply I'd say that's your main worry if you keep it.
    It's a funny two prong thing that doesn't fit very snugly and will - or at least mine does - arc a nice blue electrical zap as you get it plugged in. You'll have to secure the power cable somehow if you plan on gigging it.
    Thankfully replacements might be available here.....
    Electro-Harmonix US12AC-1000 Power Adapter

Heavy Blue likes this.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I checked one out years ago before I was into pedals and found it basically unuseable. Noisy as all heck and if I remember it cut a fair amount of lows. It was a long time ago though.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  4. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Of the last five or six issues I've heard of people having with EHX pedals, ALL of them had to do with power supplies crapping out. Same for the one quality issue I've had with an EHX pedal, too.

A 12V AC 1A power transformer shouldn't be too hard to find in more general electrical supply outfits, either.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  5. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I used to have one of these and the Tube EQ (that used to be my secret weapon, such a cool pedal!) and while they were great at first, developed noise issues. I would say it probably isn't worth it nowadays with such great comp options.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  6. I think Amos the bassist for Tesseract is still using one on his fly rig? He uses it for slight compression and a tube preamp stage. Although in interviews he has said that he has picked up radio stations through it. ;)

Heavy Blue likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021