EHX Hot-Tubes Product Review!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman314, Apr 7, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey folks! Here's a brief review of the EHX Hot-Tubes Overdrive.

I got mine used on ebay. Brand new it's around $190-$220.

Physical Dimensions: 4.75”x7” foot print. 3.3” tall at the highest point (the guard over the tubes)

Power: 12v AC “custom” connection. This is NOT a standard connector, so if you don’t have the adapter for whatever reason, you’ll have to purchase the one made by EHX. The AC outlet is on the left side of the pedal, 4” from the top edge of the pedal. The AC cable has a 1” strain, so you can’t put another pedal too close to the left side of the pedal.

Input and output are on the top edge, input is on the right, output is on the left.

This is tube-driven with a compliment of 2-12AX7's.

Controls: Master Volume, Gain, Drive, Bass, and Treble. All of the knobs are big, large and easy to turn, however when you make a setting, they stick with it. There is a Single foot switch and 2 LED indicators. One indicates power to the pedal and the other indicates the status of the pedal.

The controls do exactly what their name entails. The Master knob is volume. Gain and Drive affect the overdrive amounts. Bass and Treble are high- and low-pass filters.

The Hot Tubes is fairly amazing. Unlike other OD’s I’ve tried (limited to BOSS, DOD and Digitech, mind you), I don’t just get huge amounts of increased noise, as long as the gain and drive aren’t set at max. I noticed when I turned up the treble the line noise didn’t go crazy until I was almost at max. I keep it at a comfortable 3 o’clock, mainly for playing up the neck. Bass sounds good at any level, but I keep it around 3-4 o’clock.

As I’m using this for warmth and mild fuzz (see sound samples, when available) I have my gain and drive fairly low, around 9 and 8:30, respectively.

There is somewhat of a loss of low end, but I attribute that more to the “thickening” of the sound the overdrive adds, than any true loss of booming bass. The higher the gain and drive, the more the loss is noticeable. This pedal isn’t a distortion pedal, and when they are both maxed, the sound isn’t very desirable, at least for electric bass.

When working up the neck and playing multiple strings, the fuzz adds great harmonics to the sound.

I have noticed that as you increase the drive, without a corresponding increase in gain, you can get the speakers to “fart”. Otherwise, the tone is thick, fuzzy, and warm. I will have sound samples as soon as my church’s new Midas is set-up and I have a free weekend with our sound guru.

Like all EHX pedals, this is easy to work with. Turn the knobs until you get your desired sound. It takes some time to dial in your sound, since the Gain and Drive tend to be additive to each other, and then you have to adjust the Master to compensate. It took me several attempts to find “my sound”.

Overall, this is a great pedal. This adds a nice fuzz and crunch to my sound for when I want to have something above and beyond my clean, bright tone.
  2. Good review man! You made me curious about the sound samples... :hyper:
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    cool...i often wondered how this pedal would work for bass.
  4. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    :) You don't know how much fun I was having with that pedal maxed out and playing through a Line 6 delay unit. I was getting some crazy noises. I guess thats just the noise lover in me :)