1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Micro Synth question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BioDriver, Apr 9, 2009.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just a real quick question about this pedal. Aside from the real estate, what's the difference between the older and XO versions? I know a lot people prefer one over the other and I'm just wondering why that is.

2. Taz_60

Taz_60

Jan 25, 2009
    Paris, France
    The old one has a tone-sucking bypass, no activation led, a non-standard power supply (24v). The XO version is true bypass and is 9vDC (boss standard) powered.

3. cDrugger

cDrugger

Feb 25, 2009
    I have XO version and when i turned it on or off... pedal sounds click in the line. Imho it still havn't true bypass.
    Sorry, my english is broken :)

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The old one has a shockingly awful tone-sucking bypass, but it can be easily modded to be true bypass without requiring any additional components. That's the only real down side.

The new one has more available resonance on the filter, but the sliders move a bit too freely (compared to the old one) and in particular the rate slider seems too sensitive because the most useful settings are very close together on the slider - the older model is easier to use.

While the new one is capable of slightly more extreme sounds in terms of the top end of the filter, the old one sounds warmer and fuller somehow. It's a subtle difference but obvious if you try both.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...all things above considered, the original does sound better...

6. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Agreed. I tried the new and the old. Old has a better sound overall, richer and more depth. Plus the sliders on the old feel better. Down side is the by-pass but I am running thru a looper so no problem for me.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Glad I saw this. I was just thinking today about changing some of my bigger EHX pedals to their XO counterparts. Glad to know that I shouldn't change my BMS

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Nah you definitely should, don't listen to us, what do we know?

I'll do you a straight swap if you like - XO BMS for old model. :D

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I'll take my new version over my old one ANY DAY of the week! Even in a true bypass looper, the old version still had a little bit of a level issue.

You can do some mods to the big jawn to bring up to TB and add an LED, but seriously, I would just get the new version.

10. I'd be tempted to go for the XO over the original as the 24v power would be a major issue for me.

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    get a power conditioner and an adapter cable.

12. The real question: would the sound differences be *that* noticeable in a live setting? ;)

Personally, I'd probably go with the XO for pure space and power convenience.

13. that's the point. With the XO you wouldn't need to.

Personally I think the XO looks better too.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've used both in my main band and the older one established itself in the mix better than the new one. It sounds fuller, it's quite noticeable.

You are wrong though. :p ;) :D

15. Tweaking the internal trim pot makes XO sound better IMO.

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    unfortunately, it doesn't sound as good and is harder to use :(

17. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    If a fly farts in the vicinity of the 'rate' slider, then it would be very noticeable... The XO rate slider maintains 90% of it's filter sweep, in only 15% of sliders physical range. Very touchy. The bigger one does indeed sound fatter, and the XO does have more available resonance in the top end of the filter.

18. Harder to use? How so?

19. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The sliders have a little less range and move more easily. some people might like this, I suppose, but in my experience it is enough to make it more difficult to dial in the same settings twice in a row. Also, what ftp said above about the resonance slider is true.

It does have more resonance available but that's of little use if it's difficult to control.

I need to pick up another (bypass modded) Bass Macrosynth. Baaad.

20. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Non-linear slider adjustments.