1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eich Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iwearpumas, Jan 30, 2017.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Lately, I've been considering getting an Eich Amplifier. I currently have Tecamp, but am curious to see how an Eich amp sounds. Does anybody have any experience with the Eich cabs in comparison to the Tecamp cabs?

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I have Tecamp Gear purchased prior to the split. All my gear was made in GE. IMO I do have Eich Gear :) However I have not had the chance to play through the New Eich Amplification.

petch and bassbooty like this.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    bassbooty likes this.
  4. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have asked Thomas for some gear to review, but have not heard back yet. It should happen, though.

6. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    IMG_2555.

lo-freq and wave rider like this.
  7. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    do you care to comments on differences between the two?

8. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    They both sound great, but with all tone controls at noon they are voiced differently to my ears. My personal preference is the Puma 900, but as you know it's so subjective! Another player may prefer the voicing of the T-900. I did a direct A/B side by side comparison using the same bass through the same cabinet. To my ears through my TecAmp S212 Classic cab, the Puma is warmer with a more pillowy low end while still retaining bright yet "sweet" sounding highs… in a word more "tube" sounding. It also sounded and felt punchier to me at the same gain and volume settings. To my ears, the T-900 was a bit more "dry" or "solid state" sounding overall with sharper (less sweet) highs and a leaner low end, while still sounding fat and punchy. Some may describe the T-900 as being voiced more "flat" with tone controls at noon. The Puma may have a more colored voicing, but as I described above regarding the Puma's tone profile > that's what I like about it! :D Also, the tone controls and "Taste" control on the Puma seem more responsive to me and make a more significant difference in the overall sound when turned in smaller increments. I'm a huge fan of the Demeter Amplification tube tone and the Puma 900's warm punchy low end and glassy yet sweet high end compares more favorably to my Demeter head.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    petch, steubig and iwearpumas like this.
  9. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    thanks very much. the taste knob is critical for me and that description helps a lot.

bassbooty likes this.
  10. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Never played the Eich cabs.

As to the heads, I got an Eich T-900 not too long ago. Only had a few, brief encounters with a Puma 900, and those were a couple of years or so back, so I can't make a direct (or even a very reliable) comparison, but my impression of the Puma at the time was that it was a bit polite. The T-900 strikes me as being more open sounding, more lively, and having more edge. I wouldn't call the top end sweet -- I had a Demeter 201 preamp and that had a sweet top end, particularly with the right tubes. I can see how it could come across as harsh in certain settings or through certain cabs, but the Taste and Treble controls seem to have a fair degree of influence over it.

I posted this elsewhere but, at the risk of being a pest, here it is again:

Made with a TC Ditto Looper via the D.I. of the Eich (which is post-EQ when the little round light is on). I started it at 3:40, here, but, if you go to the beginning, I sweep through the controls (sans melody bit) one at a time.

Based on my recollection of the Puma and my experience so far with the Eich, I would choose the Eich, but that's just me. I find myself primarily using the left side of the Taste control (and only a bit of that) but, again, that's me. I don't recall what kind of effect the Taste control on the Puma had, but, to me, the effect seems pronounced with the Eich.

Addendum: I haven't tried to achieve a ruler-flat voicing with the Eich, but the post-EQ D.I. signal sounds closer to the pre-EQ signal with the Taste Control just left of noon than it does straight up. To my ears, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  11. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Here's a short 2 min. video with a good representation of the Puma tone. When Gouche is slapping, you can hear the crisp but sweet highs I was talking about:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    silverdroid likes this.
  12. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I was able to acquire a Eich 1210s. I love it, not going to lie, it's an amazing cab. I currently have Tecamp Pumas 500, 900, and 1000. Now I'm thinking about getting a Eich T900 to pair with the Eich cab. I definitely plan on buying more Eich cabs in the future. If I can get a good deal on an Eich T900, I'll pick one up. But, I still love my Pumas.

13. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Do you like the 1210s better than the SuperCab? If so, what are the differences? Thanks!

14. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    To be honest, I do. To my, the 1210s "sings" better. I actually have both now. It's like the 1210s has a wider vocal range. I haven't taken the 1210 out of my house yet, so I can account for it on a gig. But, in my house, the 1210 just has more sparkle and magic.

15. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Interesting, what about the low end response differences?

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Gigged it yet?

17. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Oops, I meant can't. I haven't gigged it yet.

18. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I'll plug it up tomorrow. But to my remembrance, it was a very quick response. Didn't seem thin at all to me, but tomorrow when I plug it up, I'll be able to give a better judgment.

19. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Cool thanks! I'm wondering if the 1210s or the SuperCab has bigger sounding lows and low mids.

20. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I think the Supercab has more bottom in their lows. I didn't feel a very boomy low end with the 1210S. Still nice lows, but I think the Supercab has more deeper lows. I think the tweeters with the 1210s are on steroids. Much brighter and open than the supecab. I actually had to turn my highs down on my bass because the tweeters are so strong on the 1210. On Sunday I will play the Supercab again, so I can be able to put more sound in my head. But right now, I feel like the 1210 can handle more than the Supercab.