1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Einsturzende Neubauten

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by superbassman2000, May 12, 2006.

1. You know, i am kinda getting into this band a little...anyone else listen to them?

I think i'd like one cd...any suggestions?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Einsturzende Neubauten is fantastic!!!

Which song did you heard? Their newer stuff is considerably more accessible than their earlier work. So it kind of depends on how high your tolerance for the sound of buzzsaws & power drills against sheet metal is. Their newest Perpetuum Mobile is a good place to start if you'd like to hear some of their mellower stuff.

Tabula Rasa is the place I think a lot of people start with Neubauten, it goes right down the middle between their harsher and mellower stuff. Also Ende Neu, and their unreleased collections Strategies against Architecture (especially the third one) are quite good, though a little inconsistent at times.

The first album I got was Drawings by an O.T. Patient, which is their second and pretty out there. Really harsh, but also kind of seductive.

Hope this helps, good luck!

3. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Heard of them, but never heard them. Describe...:confused:
    Above or below The Residents on the grating noise scale?

4. i was watching some of the ones on youtube
    The one that caught my ear though was Sehnsucht, found here ->

otherwise all of them are kinda cool sounding, and i would like to have at least one cd, so thats why i'm kinda asking if any fans here know of the "definitive" Einsturzende Neubauten

5. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Wow. Holy time-warp, Batman!!! It's been about 15 years since I've listened to EN. Now I'm gonna have to dig out my old cassettes and convert 'em to mp3.

They were one of my favorite bands when I was in high school.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

EN don't really have a definitive album, I think a number of EN fans would agree with me, they've changed quite a bit in the 20-odd years they've been playing but all their releases somehow always sound like them. Maybe it's Blixa's voice or the metal pipe percussion, but they don't really have any albums that are missteps and each of them stands on their own while also existing in harmony with the rest. It's almost like a two decade long symphony broken up into various movements.

I suppose Haus Der Luge & Halber Mensch could be considered their masterpieces, but that's just based on a sort of nebulous consensus I've read through. The ones I mentioned are my personal favorites, though I have heard all of their albums.

7. ok, I will check those out :)

but yeah, just like you said, they've had a 20 year career that is still going, and they have put out quite a few cds, and since i don't have the time or the money to check out every single one, i want to know where to start :)

8. dehory

dehory

Oct 13, 2005
    New York, NY
    Einstürzende Neubauten are also notable because the "musical director" (Alexander Hacke) is a bass player - as was another long-time member (Mark Chung). I've been trying to find out more about their technique, method and equipment. Can anybody shed any light on this?

9. Haus der Luege and Tabula Rasa are both good albums that I really should own. Now, all I have are three newer CD:s. These are, in reversed chronological order: Perpetuum Mobile (an album I seldom return to); Silence is Sexy (much, much better than the formerly mentioned album. Highly recomended!); and Ende Neu (my favourite of the three. Has one of the most beautiful love songs ever - Stella Maris - on it, and is worth buying for that one track alone).

On a side note, how can you not like a band that feature the following pictures on their website, under the category "instruments"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jeff_bass28: I think it's hard to answer your question, as I find The Residents and Einstürzende Neubauten to be miles apart soundwise, and also because I've never considered The Residents to be grating or noisy. Neubauten, on the other hand, can be a bit of both as well as neither, depending on which album you listen to. I like both bands, but they don't have much in common.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Neubauten rocks.

Tabla Rasa is an ol' classic from when industrial was GOOD. I mean, before it turned into just metal with sequencers.

*Sigh* Maybe I'll bust out that tonight along with my 242, Skinny Puppy & Nitzer Ebb albums.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I prefer the older Einsturzende Neubauten. With that in mind, I highly recommend the compilation CD "Strategies Against Architecture II"

I saw EN in concert a few years ago... just looking at their instruments was enough to keep me entertained, but their music was amazing too.

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Yeah they're ok. I've always been partial to Laibach however. Check them out. Maybe not too accessible though.

13. Che

Che

Jan 13, 2007
    Canada
    i have to agree with you completely. as they are my favorite band, I know all their albums (including all their new stuff) really well, and they really don't have one album you could play to someone, and say "and thats Neubauten in a nutshell"

each album is different with a different concept in mind. Perpetuum Mobile is great, and it is probably a good place to start if you dont know them at all. Haus der Lüge is fantastic. Kollaps may be a little too harsh/noisy for some, although i'd recommend everyone that is getting into Neubauten at least listen to the title track!

their live show is awesome as well, check them out if you can. I saw them 3 years ago, it was an amazing show. meeting them made it even better.

14. +1

does anybody know what bass is Alexander Hacke using in Palast der Republik DVD ?

some videos in youtube..

cheers, :bassist:

15. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    HELL YEAH!!!!!.... anything is good!! it just depends what you like about them, the earlier stuff is much more aggressive and experimental.. they get much more musical later on... As much as the earlier stuff is genius, i find myself listening to the later albums the most.

alles wieder offen
    ende neu
    perpetuum mobile
    silence is sexy
    tabula rasa

16. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    Yes, they are a very interesting band. I saw them maybe 18 or 20 years ago. My favorite instrument from that show was a shopping cart.

17. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's a mid-90's Epiphone Non-Reverse Thunderbird.

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been a fan of these guys for years. I saw them once too. This is exactly the place I'd start for getting into them. I love their version of Sand (I think this is a Johnny Cash song originally) which is on this compilation. Great stuff.

Personally I'm not super fond of Tablua Rosa. It's just kind of too sleepy for my tastes.

19. thanks!

20. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

Downloading/buying it now.