1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

El Maya Rickenbacker copy project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tommy cass, Oct 14, 2017.

1. tommy cass

tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of you might be interested in this geekness.
    I purchased this El Maya rick copy a while back and could never get use to the HUGE neck and weak sounding pickup. I bought a real RIC treble pup, reshaped the neck to be skinnier from about the 12th down to the nut, took off mostly sides and stayed out of the middle. Today I shot the sides of the headstock with yellow tint Reranch to resemble what a 4001s looks like. (yes I know most 4001s dont have the skunk stripe, yes I know Ric uses different wood for the sides).
    Its maple underneath but it turned out looking pretty close to the right color. I have to let it dry for a while and build up clear so that I can sand it all down even.. I plan on shooting the whole guitar with Reranch tint to match and clear coating it lacquer. I did the same thing to a Japanese made Gretsch Setzer that was poly.
    Heres what the headstock looks like so far, the truss cover is setting on it so you can get an idea.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    makaspar likes this.
  2. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Looks like a fun project. How did it play when it was together?

3. tommy cass

tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    like a Louisville slugger lol, I have smaller hands (no Trump jokes lol) neck was ridiculous, the fingerboard on this thing is really thick, but as far as Rick copies it is VERY close, Ive owned a ton of 4000 series and this thing is super close, the only thing wrong was the head stock wings are maple and theres a rosewood or walnut stripe down the center, which wouldn't be on a 4001s (there are a few rare examples with this feature). its a real John Hall sweaty arm pit, furrowed brow maker lol.
    Im a sucker for these old Japanese copies with actual acorn nut rod adjustment lol

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Hmmm...my ‘73 4001 definitely has a skunk stripe. It’s a JetGlo, so it’s covered up but I know it’s there because when I bought it secondhand in ‘76, somebody had taken the finish off the back of the bass and I had to have it refinished..

5. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Good point, mine is a stereo...