1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

elbow pain

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by smallmouth, Jul 27, 2008.

1. smallmouth

smallmouth

Jul 4, 2007
    I get elbow pain that seems like tendonits, that seems to come from playing bass. (left elbow). It could be other activities but it seems to relate to playing more bass. Any suggestions?

Bill, thanks

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Can never be too sure about this... certainly without seeing you play, but you should likely consult with a Dr. of sports med. or some such type that is VERY familiar with over-usage symptoms. Also, do your OWN analysis of the motions and stresses you put yourself through. I try not to lift my arm (ever) over shoulder height. If you do, one can stress the bursa on the shoulder but can also "twist" the elbow depending on the angle by which you approach the bass. The angle that the bass is held to your body can also effect the stress on the elbow.... whether it be to close or too far. AND, playing with much extra tension can feel pain at the elbow even though you are working the muscles that are attached to the elbow that operate the fingers. So, without looking at your playing, it is very difficult to determine if the playing is causing the pain in your elbow, or whether you have been throwing too many softballs. Perhaps more info can be given and a TRUE Dr. out there can comment.
    Best!
    PN

3. smallmouth

smallmouth

Jul 4, 2007
    Maybe I'll look for a candid or two. Maybe my peg is too high. I've been playing for a couple of years and time hasn't made it better, funny it bothers more for other things than it does for playing bass such as picking something heavy up with that left hand. I imagine the word, relax, is involved here somewhere.
    Thanks.
    Bill

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021