1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electric or regular

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by UprightBassist, Nov 2, 2010.

1. UprightBassist

UprightBassist

Nov 2, 2010
    OK, I'm newish to bass i have been playing for 1 1/6 years. I am thinking about buying or renting a bass. The question is electric or regular upright bass. I would be playing in a school orchestra but this would be mainly for practice or for a youth symphony.:help:

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    You'll want a regular double bass for what you describe.

You can learn a lot by reading the newbie links in the Basses [DB] forum before you start shopping.

3. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Yup.

4. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I said yes to an Regular DB, and expensive EUB can come close to the sound of an DB, but why try to imitate the real think if you can have it, of course they look cool, there are smaller, ease to carry around; that's make it easy to take to a gig... may be for a pro is a better option, I said never your primary instrument.... and then u open the pandora box, about the shape, amps, mics, feeling and some of them cant be play using a bow :meh:.
    I am being building an EUB for ever, I put it together one day (with no amp), it sounded somewhere between and Fretless and a DB... now I am restoring a real DB.... :crying::meh:
    PS I am newbie too