1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electricity, Phase Problem, or Gremlins?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Hey all,

Due to a change in drummers we've not been gigging much, but after two recent gigs in the same club I'm kinda stumped to this problem.

My current rig Berg EX112S, HT122S, SansAmp RBI, run through the power section of an Ampeg amp - sounds just great in the practice room.

Gig 1 - Took this exact setup, changed not a single setting, including levels and volume -- started playing, heard this farting sound like I blew a speaker. Played the gig, got home, next day in practice room everything was fine. Go Bergs! :)

Gig 2 - Last night, same club. Took only the HT122S and an Ampeg 1x15 (borrowed) for some extra lows maybe, been trying this at practice, again no problems at all. Made SURE I plugged into a different outlet onstage as maybe last time it was a power issue. Started playing, I kept "hearing" myself out of tune??? Checked tuner numerous times, everything seemed right on. So I figured maybe a phase issue with the two unmatched cabs.

Anyhow ... what do you think? Its just this club, that room, their power, or some weird gremlin? Its downright puzzling I tell you.

Next gig I'm going back to both Bergs ... that's why I bought them after all, hehe.

2. Actually having searched for "phase" I'm not sure that's the word I'm looking for -- but I don't know how to explain it :smug:

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    My guess would be that the room is somehow accentuating certain overtones that are giving you the impression you are out of tune when you're not. Of course, it could just be that the rest of the band is OUT of tune...

Lonnybass

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've sounded out of tune sometimes. sometime I was playing the wrong note :eyebrow: other times I was NOT. I tried moving my cabs closer or farther away from who I thought I was out of tune with, either the PA or a loud guitarist or keyboards. sometimes it helped other times it didn't.

Alternate Bandaid: turn up or down your volume so you or the competing instrument are significantly louder and lessens the "apparent" out-of-tuness... most bands seem to never get enough of the bass so maybe TURN IT UP!!!! :bassist:

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Some rooms have "dead spots", where the lows are nulled out more or less. If you are in one, you'll think the lows need boosted, and crank them, only to find out you ran out of power, hence farting sound.

A similar issue can cause the timbre of the sound to apparently change, which you could possibly interpret as out of tune, maybe?

6. Well I didn't crank anything, so I'm leaning toward the timbre side of things. Just watched some video that was shot last night and everything sounds fine on that .... so weird, I just hate that room.

Next gig there I'm taking the other side of the stage to see what happens.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021