1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electronic drums through my rig - damage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by churchy, May 21, 2011.

1. churchy

churchy

Sep 21, 2010
    Hello...

Can anyone advise if I could cause any possible damage by playing my electronic drum kit through my amp and cab?
    Its only for home practice purposes and will only be at a low volume.

After shelling out for a new rig last year I dont want to risk playing the electronic kit through it if there is any chance of damage.

Like I said it will be a low volume and wont be driven hard in the slightest.

I did try a search before but could not get a definitive answer. Sorry if its a daft question, but wanted to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for any help..

Chris.

2. Not to your amp but yes I would think that the cymbals might prove be too much for the high frequency driver(s). What cabinet is it???

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've done it zillions of time.. a bit depens on what "practice level" and "rig" mean

4. It totally depends on your cab. Many bass cab manufactureres cheap out on the tweeter because they can get away with it. There is not a lot of information in the electric bass guitar in the treble range but there certainly is in a set of electric cymbals. The good news would be that a cheap tweeter would be cheap to replace! :D

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Drums, cymbals have a lot of high frequency.
    The amp will be fine, but the cabinet may not be able to keep up.
    Depends on the kit, but edrums can have a lot of dynamics. A loud cymbal crash and pop goes the tweeter or crossover.

6. churchy

churchy

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks for the replies...

Yea, its the high frequencies of the cymbals and attack from snare that was worrying me.
    To be a bit more specific its only a Yamaha DTX express kit I use for practice (keeps the neighbours happy). The amp and cabs are markbass Little Tube 800, 104HF and 151P cabs.
    As i keep my gear in the same room, I thought it might be an option, as I don't like wearing headphones if I don't have to, especially when playing drums.

The volume levels will be very very low - No more than you would have a TV. I certainly wont be attempting to gig with it as the electronic kit just isn't good enough for that anyway.

I was of the opinion as long as I don't push the cabs to any degree I should be OK, but thought I best ask the experts.

Thanks again!!!

7. I would have no problem doing it at bedroom levels. Personally, I would give it a shot a higher volume too if I found need. If the tweeter goes, oh well, time for another one. But that's just me :)

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have gigged y bass and Roland Vdrums throuh my amp several times at moderate, not low volume. Go for it but do pay attention to your rig while getting adjusted to how it performs. I would have been a lot more concerned about the kick at volume than the cymbals.