Elias Bass guitar.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Randall, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Has anyone ever heard of or own a Elias bass guitar?. Peter Elias made them in Canada during the 1980's. I bought mine ( Solid Padauk) for $700.00 (half price dutch auction sale) during that time period. It had emg P pickups and I added a set of emg jazz bass pickups. Mine is #087. Was searching the web and cannot find much if anything about them. Must have been a very low volume luthier.

2. Pics?

3. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Sorry phone pics.

Attached Files:

4. pimpdaddyeatman

pimpdaddyeatman

Aug 26, 2009
    :rolleyes::help::cool::ninja::p:bag:;):D:bawl::oops::scowl::spit::(:rollno::meh::):eyebrow::confused::atoz:yo guy i have that same bass i found my like on the side of the road iam glad some one els has the same bass i couldent find eney info on them and if u have eney more info on them now can u let me no :bassist::hyper::smug::eek::crying:

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    HI Randall,

I had #015, which was a fretless Koa bass I purchased from Dave Young. Actually, my teacher in Edmonton had told me this was up for grabs, and I bought it from Dave when he was playing with Oscar Peterson at the high school stage band festival in 1981. Ah, memories!

Later, I had #073 which was an all-cherry fretted. Your bass was called the AP-1, I think, and was a slightly less expensive and smaller version that Peter came out with later. He went into Doublebass and 'Cello making, and now lives in Switzerland. Fantastic Canadian bass maker, and you're lucky to have this!

6. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Thanks guys for the replies. I picked it up and without plugging it in even -the feel of the neck made me want to buy it and at half price who could resist. ;)

7. bungalowbill

bungalowbill

Sep 27, 2009
    Same thing for me; half price, Dutch auction (got up at 6:30 to be first in line) at Mother's Music on Whyte Avenue in the eighties. Mine is #096, and all original. Beautiful playing instrument!

From the it's-a-small-world department, I also have the fretless #015 that LM mentioned (although I didn't know it was koa...)

LM Bass likes this.
  8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Koa, Maple and Rosewood. Ebony board. Play it in good health!
    : )

9. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Wow.

10. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing artist: Alleva Coppolo Basses and Guitars, FBass, La Bella-Olinto Bergantino Audio Systems
    Its really cool to see this thread. I bought one from Peter after seeing a really good local guy( at the time) named Dave Piltch play one several times here in Toronto back in the 80s. I owned it from the mid 80s for at least 4-5 years.
    I also visited Peter's shop several times regarding the order- he built them at his place in Cobourg Ontario about 45 min from Toronto. All Padauk I believe with an EMG P. I think at that time it may have been the only model he offered...cool bass...a very organic/woody tone with great playability and he was a very nice guy .

Glad to read he is still building instruments.

11. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    I have read that Peter Elias is building classical instruments in Switzerland. Good to hear from all of you as there is not much info to be found about him. I notice some new warwicks has a similiar shape lol.

12. bungalowbill

bungalowbill

Sep 27, 2009
    I found an article on the web a few years ago about Peter and his work. The original link to the article seems dead, but I downloaded it at the time, and have posted it here for anyone who is interested:

http://files.me.com/w00h00/qdpfdy

I'm just glad he made a few electric instruments before moving on!

13. I owned a fretless jazz-style Elias bass with what I thought was a walnut body, a very sexy maple neck that ran through the body, and a rosewood fingerboard. As best I recall it was #19. It came w Dimarzio pups I replaced w Schecter tap-coils looking to liven up the sound. I found the sound kinda dark and choked and blamed the pups and the walnut body. In hindsight, the rosewood board might have been the problem. Eventually I had frets installed and then sold the bass to someone living in Whitehorse in the Yukon. Back in the very early 80s I was playing around BC and Alberta with a great guitar player named Dane Deviller. He had an Elias guitar that sounded great. I believe I found my bass at Mother's Music in Edmonton or maybe Calgary and paid around $1100.

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I played with Dane occassionally in the late 80's as well- fantastic player! Didn't know Peter ever made a guitar, but I bet it was great!

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I remember they were all the rage for a while. Tom Hazlitt had one, as I recall, and everyone was in total awe of it (and him) back in the early 80's. And I remember yours, too, from back then Rod. Read the article on his string basses, and glad to see he has progressed so far in his lutherie.

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. The Monk

The Monk

Oct 29, 2009
    Hi there, I was searching on the internet for some info on my Elias bass and came across this thread. I have ser#032 a koa and birds eye maple fretless jazz style with an ebony fingerboard, maple inlayed fret markers, and dimarzio pups. I've had this bass a long time, I bought it used at Guitarworks in Calgary in the early '90s. I actually traded a worn out '68 strat for it. At the time I was getting into Jaco's stuff and this bass fit the bill. Ive been toying with the idea of selling it for a while now. Does anyone know what they are worth?

Here are some pics I took today.

Attached Files:

17. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    That looks real sweet. Hard to put a value on it as they are so rare and dont come up for sale often. :meh:

18. bungalowbill

bungalowbill

Sep 27, 2009
    I have a couple of other basses that are koa, and after seeing #032 (sweet!), I'm pretty sure #015 is something else... I seem to remember something vaguely, from way back when, about it being walnut... does that sound right?

It really is a lovely instrument... looking forward to getting it back from the shop!

Attached Files:

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Say what ?

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    #15 is Koa for sure. Play it in good health!
    : )
    LM

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021