1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Implemented EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS: Include transcript of new posts

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by gastric, Oct 8, 2013.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a variety of instant email notifications. It would be excellent if the notifications included a text transcript of the new posts since my last visit.

This would negate me having to manually visit the forum each and every time I receive a notification to read the forum.

A specific example is the "Amazon Deals" thread. I'd love to just see the text transcript in the email and delete the email once I'm done reading it.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Subscribe to the thread and you'll get the text of each post.

3. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I don't, hence my request here. Here's a copy of a notification email I just received.

--------

Hello gastric,

cybersnyder has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - BEHOLD! AKAI Deep Impact - in the For Sale: *Effects and Pedals forum of TalkBass Forums.
    This thread is located at:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037508&goto=newpost

Regards,
    Your friendly TalkBass Webserver

4. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I don't know if this has been asked and answered elsewhere (hence no response?), but I was just wishing for this last week. For the same reasons. I think there's no question that it would cut down on server traffic.
    If the functionality is there--even if it left out img files--I'd love to see it implemented.
    Jeff

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I belong to several forums.
    This is the only one that doesn't do that.

It would be nice.

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    DONE! :)

Watched thread/forum emails and conversation notification emails will now contain full text.

gastric likes this.
  7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    this is excellent, thanks :D :D

8. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Thanks, Paul!

9. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yeah, I like this too :)

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I like this feature in a lot of ways especially for the phone. But for us hot heads who sometimes hit send when we should be counting to 10 instead it takes away the wiggle room you used to have to edit or delete that "inside voice" post that slipped out.

11. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Just a head's up: I've decided to remove post/message text in notification emails. Reasons:
    • This is the big one. We have a lot of confused users. Typical scenario: user subs to a thread. A new post is made, user gets an email and reads it. User considers post "read". There are 3 new posts to the thread, but user doesn't get any further notification emails (as designed. user must actually VISIT thread in order to get more notifications for that thread). Therefore: user is upset because they missed 3 posts. TalkBass loses user engagements because many users never realize there's been more posts to sub'ed threads that they "read" via email.
    • We're losing revenue. When users read posts on TalkBass, we get ad revenue.
    • Users STILL try to reply to posts by replying to post notification emails :bored:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  12. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Bummer!
    But totally understood.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Boooooo :-(

14. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Maybe make it an opt-in setting for those of us technically inclined enough to want to use it.

15. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    That's a great idea, I'll see about getting this functionality.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Having these turned off really makes talkbass via phone worse.
    I'm sorry that there are some folks that are too dense to get that they can't reply to the emial notification; but catering to the lowest common denominator isn't the answer, IMO.
    I get that part of this is a "revenue generated decision," but, this is going to result in folks like me who surf via phone during the business day because work locks us out spending a lot less time here.
    Or, at least, that's the way it's going to work for me.

I hope you restore that.
    As I said in post 5, this is the only forum I belong to that doesn't include the post in the email notification: bummer.

thanks for listening.

paul and smeet like this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Is it necessary to include the entire post in the email? If only a couple of lines would suffice to peak interest, maybe that would work. The reply address could be something null.

Even better make the preview of the post a link, hit it and the phone fires up the talkbass app and goes to the post. Don't know if that is possible to fire up an app other than a browser within email but if it isn't, it should be.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    At the same time of this revision, when using my phone the e-mail links started going to my browser and not my TalkBass app (I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.something or other). I was never given an option to send these links to the app. Is there any way to fix this in the link and/or the app, or is the problem on my end?

19. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Hmm... there was a change in the URL on the emails - but we can't tell your phone what to do with the links... and unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Android. Is there any way to tell your phone to open all URL's that start with mail.talkbass.com, with the App?

20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I cleared the Chrome defaults, so that when I opened up the URL, it would allow me to select the default app---and I only got Chrome and the system browser as options, no Talkbass. So I think that Talkbass does not recognize the new URL format, and it's the app that needs to be updated.

When I Google "android open url with app" I get a bunch of developer websites about "intents" that can be set when coding apps. Like this. I cannot find any information on how I can do this as an end user on an unrooted phone.

So I really think the problem must be with the app, that it needs to be updated to reflect the new URLs. I'm surprised no one else has complained about this. I can't imagine I'm missing something obvious, but if I'm missing something non-obvious I would be happy to hear it.