Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emergenza

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassWolf, Oct 18, 2004.

1. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    My band has just decided that they want to give the Emergenza Festival thing a go. I personally wasn't crazy about this idea, mainly because of horror stories i've heard from musicians that participated in the past.
    Has anyone had any experiences with Emergenza, good or bad? Did the pros out-weigh the cons after it was all said and done?

2. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    Some folks are trying to make some cash by preying on the dreams of bands who are trying to find a way to get their music heard.
    I'm wondering if anyone has found success as a direct result of these kinds of competitions/events??? Follow your own path and keep your self respect. Best of luck!!!

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, Man!?

Is this one of those deals where you PAY to play? Don't do it - invest the money a better demo to MAIL to the record companies!

Joe

4. In my experience, it wasn't really worth it. The $75 entry fee wasn't a huge problem as it came out of the band fund and we got about that much free merch from the sponsors anyway. The problem I had with it is you have to sell tickets for something like $12 - more than admission to the average club show - and the band makes no money from ticket sales.

This means that for a half hour set, your fans are dropping a ton of money that they probably could've spent seeing two of your club shows. We still occasionally play this type of show, but never again have we sold tickets to friends or fans for them. Respect your supporters.

5. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    yeah EMERGENZA it's just a bunch of bastards trying to make money out of small bands, my band received an email a while ago wanting us to get in!, an invitation, with the email and cell phone of the person that deals with registrations here in spain. So we emailed them back asking so if you are interested in us getting register and since this is and invitation to form part of your thing....do we get a free registration?.....it's been 4 days..and no answer....hahaha....bastards...

6. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    Yeah, personally, I'm not getting my hopes up about this whole thing. I definately do not have any delusions of this being our great chance to hit the bigtime or anything like that, I'm just kind of going with the flow of the rest of the band on this one. At least I get a free set of strings out of the deal. On that note, anyone interested in buying a set of ernie ball strings? :rolleyes: heh, anyway.....

7. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

The band I was in last year did it. Not really impressed! The ticket sale thing really pissed me off. Basically the more people you bring into the venue, the better your chances of moving-on. You don't even have "judging" until the finals in your city and even that's a joke.

I'd pass!

8. High Holy Dave

High Holy Dave

Nov 27, 2004
    I was not impressed. After having to drive to Toronto for a "meeting" with Emergenza (cost $30 in gas, another $20 in parking) I was asked for a basic requirement stage list from said representative. So they wanted a tech rider. The same rider I have attached many times in an email. So they wanted me to waste my valuable time and money to give them something I could of sent them in an email. I told the bastard there that I wasn't impressed and he got the idea..Needless to say, when we played our Emergenza show and everyone there raised there hand to vote for us, we came in last. True story. Not bitter, just relaying the truth..Well maybe just a little bit bitter...:)
    It wasn't worth the stress...
    Cheers my low end frequency-naughts...
    Dave

9. Isabigload

Isabigload

Nov 28, 2004
    really

10. Emergenza as with all band wars competitions are a total farce. Emergenza more so as they do not even pretend to "judge" the bands. It's bassically a ticket selling competition. I mean, which one of your friends is going to raise thier hand to vote for another band???? I've have not played in one, But I have heard that the ticket prices are insane for Emergenza as well.

Don't bother wasting your time with band wars. You will not win fans as everyone is there soley to cheer for the bands they bought tickets off and NO ONE improtant goes to these shows so you are NOT going to get discovered. and it is NOT worth it to get the expereince. I have also heard from another band that won one of these and never got any of their prizes.