1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG 40P5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by setsuna_X, Oct 4, 2009.

1. setsuna_X

setsuna_X

Sep 29, 2006
    i've been looking to change this pickup for a Bartolini, but i don't know wich one i need, or what's the difference between all the different pickups bartolini offers in that same size...

also i'm having trouble finding out wich type of pickup i should get (bridge, neck) cos the single pickup on my bass is neither here not there, on the sweet spot (Steinberger Synapse Fretless 5)

hoping some of you more enlightened folk could help me out here

2. setsuna_X

setsuna_X

Sep 29, 2006
    Bump...

3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm going through something similar myself, but on a Schecter. I'm looking for something that will approximate a P-bass in a soapbar.

First off, and I hope Bartolini sees this, the Bartolini web site is an utter mess. Forget it being attractive, information is sheer gobble-de-gook. Broken links and unclear information are the hallmark of the place. They make great stuff, but they should hire a web company to make the site useful.

With that said, I have divined from reading and reading several sources on the internet that Bartolini makes 2 soapbar pickups in the vein of a 5-string P-bass in a soapbar that look interesting : Both are from the Bartolini Original series (not to be confused with the "Classic" series; see what I mean about confusing?), and are M4 models. These have the same size as the EMG 40.

http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/5st_bass_pu_s.htm

Regular P-bass pickups are split-coil designs, and Bartolini has 2 takes on this for 5-string:

1. XXM45M-split coil deep tone
    2. XXM45C-quad coil deep tone

In addition, each of these come in tunings for either neck or bridge.

As for the difference - I think the the split coil is like the regular P-bass but in a soapbar shape.

The quad coil: imagine 2 P-bass pickups in one soapbar shell, but one is reversed. Another way to think of this is to imagine a dual coil pickup that has rail/blade magnets. However, each rail/blade is split, one set under the lower 3 strings, the other set under the upper 2 - just like a 5-string P-bass would be.

This pickup can be wired like a standard P-bass, a reversed P-bass, or straight series/parallel wiring for a dual coil pickup. All this from one pickup. This is definitely the most versatile if you like to experiment.

All these pickups are passive.

As for me: I'm going with the XXM45M-split coil with neck voicing.

Hope this helps,

hd

Attached Files: