1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG ABC Blend Pot - Suitable as Mag / Piezo Buffer Blend?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Antisyzygy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I kind of have the same question, though I'm mostly using the Graphtech Ghost stuff (with their balancing preamp) in most of my current projects.

3. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I have an ABC control and use it w magnetic pickups only. I like it a lot, but with a published input Z of only 200K ohms, I don't think it would work well to buffer piezo elements, which really want to see 1Meg input impedances.

YMMV...

4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I see, thanks!

I am pretty sold on the EMG BTC system (I like you can set the treble filter curve to affect high high mids only). I just need some sort of buffer pan for the piezo and magnetic pickup that would work with the EMG pre setup.

Alternatively I could just remove the Piezo, it's just that the body I'm getting already has one installed under the bridge in a small route. I guess I could fill it in with some wood putty as it will be covered by the bridge regardless.

5. You want an input impedance of 3M-5M Ohms for piezo elements. 200k is going to sound awful.

6. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Thanks! That helps me check the specs.

Do you know of any makes/models outside of the Bartolini Buffered blend?