1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG BTC control question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Feb 20, 2018.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hey guys, first off, I tried contacting EMG before posting but got no answer, so I figured I may get a quicker answer here on TB from someone in the know. I have a BTC control just sitting around still in the box, never used. I recently purchased and installed the EMG JVX set in one of my Jazz Basses and it sounds okay, but I found that it lacks UMPH or Punch and could stand to have a little more low-end for my liking. So my question is, Can I install that BTC control in there along with my JVX set? (of course replacing the original tone control), and will it give me more of what I'm looking for? Thanks. Also, another question that I have is: There's an ACTIVE JV set with the exposed pole pieces like my JVX set; Does the JV Active set have more output/Low end Punch) than the JVX set? (which is not listed as being active) OR, Will adding one of the other accessories like the (Active EQ's) BQS, BTS, or BQC (to what I already have) give me more of what I'm looking for? Thanks again.

2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    madjazzbass likes this.
  3. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thank You very much, I hope this gets me a bit more Umph/punchiness and low end that I seem to be lacking.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The BTC is certainly compatible with your pickups. But the BTC does not have an aggressive voice of its own. It will add (or subtract) fullness with the bass knob, and sparkle with the treble knob, but depending upon what you mean by “oomph” and “punch”, that may be a characteristic of the pickups. Neutral tone circuits like the BTC will allow fine-tuning the tone of a pickup (or pair), but the basic tone will still come through.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thank You Sir, I actually finally got in touch with EMG, they were very helpful and said as you did that the BTC control is compatible of course and may even get me a little closer to the tone I'm after BUT, She went on to say that what I REALLY may want to do is add another (9 volt) battery (along with the BTC) turning it into an 18 volt system therefore increasing the headroom which in turn will give me the added/extra output and "umph":woot: that I seem to be lacking as well as giving me the ability to taylor my sound even more. ... which means I have to dig/route out a little more room in/around the control cavity for the second battery. No, I don't have a battery box on this Bass:(. Anyways, Thanks again Man.

ctmullins likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I thought the EMG “X” series pickups were designed not to need the 18 volt mod? Oh well, I would follow the advice coming directly from EMG. I’m just “thinking out loud” in an Internet forum kinda way.

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Switching from 9V to 18V will not yield any additional output, unless you are heavy-handed, and your normal playing style is already exceeding what a 9V system can put out, or if you’re maxing out the boost knobs on your preamp. And it certainly won’t change the tone. Extra headroom means that the highest signal peaks (transients) won’t get squashed (as much) by the circuitry. But it doesn’t alter the frequency spectrum of the signal.

madjazzbass and rwkeating like this.
  9. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Well, I went ahead and did exactly as the Women at EMG said, Lucky for me I had everything I needed right here and didn't have to order anything. First I installed the BTC control (very easy, piece of cake to install); 'put everything back together plugged it in an immediately noticed the increased output (everything flat/at the middle detent) and no, it didn't change the tone of the Bass at all, It just made it louder, but the cool thing about it is now I have a concentric pot and can taylor my highs and my lows a lot better now, I have more flexibility. So with that and tweaking my amps EQ to get the best possible tone suited for this particular Bass, it sounded better than it ever had; I wasn't even gonna bother adding the other 9 volt cause it was sounding really good, but when I realized that I could fit another battery in the cavity without having to chisel/route anymore, AND the connections were so easy to do, I said 'What the heck?' Everything went back together without a hitch and it sounded even better to me, not louder, but like I had more room to play with. I love the way it turned out, 'Very happy with the end results. ... Oh! and I had to change the strings as well, the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky nickel round wounds weren't working for this Bass any longer; I slapped on an old set of DR Nickels I had and they're a much better fit tone wise for this Bass now. ... the Dunlop Super Brites didn't sound that good either, I tried them out first. Anyways Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

rwkeating and ctmullins like this.
  10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Congratulations, enjoy! EMG makes good stuff. :thumbsup:

madjazzbass likes this.
  11. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014