EMG BTC installation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Jun 7, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    So, I bought this EMG BTC some time ago and never got around to putting it into any of my Basses; (none of my Basses ever had EMG pickups) UNTIL my Warmoth BUILD w/the GZR P/J set came along; Then it dawned on me; HEY! I maybe able to use that BTC in my Warmoth build! ... or can I? 1. It's needs a 9 volt; Will I have to route under the pickguard to fit the battery? 2. It has it's own input Jack, I imagine I'd have to use that one (I guess that's not that big of a deal) 20170607_193317.jpg FB_IMG_1495901329202.jpg 3. The knobs are black, they don't match the chrome P Bass knobs on my Bass; If I bought a set of Chrome Stacked knobs, Would they fit on the EMG pots/shafts? (I like my knobs to all match:wacky:, I'm crazy like that). ... and What are those two extra EMG knobs (in the photo) for? If I can make this happen, this Bass would be even cooler than it already is :woot::bassist:

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    1. Yes you will need at least one battery. Where you choose to put it/them is up to you. Existing cavity, separate cavity, battery box, they can all work.

2. The included jack is a standard Switchcraft (high quality) stereo jack, the same kind that is used in 90% of active bass circuits. Use the one they provided, or use another one, your call. But a mono jack won't work.

3. Lots of knobs out there. The 6mm/8mm ones fit. The 4mm/6mm ones won't.

The BTC can be used with any pickups, they don't have to be EMG. But the solderless connectors make EMG pickups a good pairing.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I can't quite tell from OP's pic whether this should be of any concern for him in this scenario, but for anyone not intimately familiar with the minutiae of EMG's naming conventions, I feel compelled to mention:
    There is a difference between EMG's "BTC" and EMG's "BTC System" and the "BTC System" can not be used with any pickups, they have to be EMGs.

I'll be damned if I know what that difference is....

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    The regular BTC/BTS etc, EQ modules from EMG are designed to work with EMG active pickups, as they use a lower impedance signal path than typical HiZ passive pickups can cope with. This is made apparent when you buy active EMG pickups - they come with 25Kohm pots, not the 250-500k pots typically associated with passive pickups

The BTS/BTC etc, System modules typically include an active balance control which is designed for passive pickups and will act as a buffer in front of the EQ modules.

Best to talk to EMG to see if what you want to do will work. Good luck.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The System is simply the unit plus the right pots for active pickups. It's just a "kit" built around the EQ unit itself. The unit works with any pickups; I've used various passive pickups myself through the years, although I believe every such installation involved routing those pickups first through 500k volume pots and then to a blend/switch and then to the BTC.

madjazzbass likes this.