1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EMG-BTC vs Aguilar OBP3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deguello462, May 15, 2006.

1. Deguello462

Deguello462 Guest

May 3, 2006
    Hey guys. I'm debating on whether I want to get an EMG-BTC or an Aguilar OBP3 preamp to go with 2 EMG35DC P/Us. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.:help: Thanks.

2. I haven't used the OBP, but I have installed the BTC in a couple of my basses using a couple of different pickup configurations - one Jbass, with EMGs and then with Fender CS 60s pickups, and a PBass with EMGs and then a Fender pickup.

The BTC was just too bright for me. You can adjust the frequency center, but none of the settings were good for me. I play fingerstyle and don't slap. The bass boost was OK, but not very natural sounding. Same with the treble.
    Hope this helps.

Laura Camacho likes this.
  3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    No experience with the OPB3, but I've found that the EMG BT preamp tends to add some EQ even when set flat. My Hamer Chaparral 12 has an active/passive switch which allows comparing the BT to the passive signal. Most noticeable is a boost in the treble with the BT engaged. The upper mids sound more natural in passive mode. I swapped out the original IC for a TL072 and it sounds a bit warmer now, but it is still not the most transparent preamp.

4. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    +2

I was disappointed with the sound after i swap the BTC and VMC into a passive fretless. it was so much better going passive to the amp.

5. the aguilar rocks..

that is all..

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

When you say BTC I assume that's what you mean, the two band as opposed to the BQC which incorporates a BTC but adds a variable mid. The BQS adds the EMG blend that's designed specifically for use with EMG's. The BTC unit has knee frequency dips that permit treble adjustment so can be done with all 3 units.

OBP3 is 3 band with an optional variable mid, not required.

To me tonewise they were splitting hairs but I don't like variable mids so I would go with the Aggie if cost weren't a factor - if you meant BQC.

Also had several BTC's and like them just fine - preferred over the OBP-1 which to me didn't do anything I could tell. Bass sounded the same with or without it. So I took it out and sold it.

7. For me there was a definate difference even when set flat (BTC) - treble boosted and ... just... different in both basses and with all pickups I tried it with.

Not for me. I really pretty much hate treble when it's boosted! Just me. I play classic rock, blues, contemp. worship music, and it just wasn't the tone I was after. I would like to try an OBP.

8. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Aguilar brought my Sintgray5 to life. I was going to sell it, and now I never will. It's clearer and has a lot of power in the bass and the 2 mid frequencies. The highs are very pleseant which was the reason I wasn't iking the Stingray. The OBP-3 fixed it all.

Go for it.

9. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I have a GMP Elite 4 string with an EMG SJ in the neck and an EMG MMCS in the bridge. They are both active pickups. I originallly wired the pickups through a Seymour Duncan preamp and tone controls. (they were in it when I bought it) no matter what amp I plugged in it distorted the instant I began to play because the output was way too high. So I ran them straight through with no extra preamp and they sound pretty good but I don't have the control over the tone that I would like. I emailed EMG and they recommended the BTC, says it should solve my problem. But now I'm curious about the OBP-3, thinking it may be a better fit. I'm looking to increase the output of the bass without causing my amp to distort. I'm really into the EMG hi-fi sound. Should I go with my original plan, the BTC...or consider the OBP-3?

10. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    OBP-3 is my preference by a long way!
    Often you hear people saying 'Clinical', 'Brittle/Trebley' and 'Sterile' when talking about EMG pick-ups which is really enhanced by the EMG pre-amp, but the Aguilar really brings them to life as warm, yet clear/defined tone (on my basses anyway;)).

I only use 3 basses now all custom made with a single 35TW pickup in all, OBP-3's in two of them and an OBP-2 onboard in the last one.

Also, have a fourth Bass I don't use so much but also sounds nice with Bartolini Jazz Pups and an OBP-1 onboard.

11. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I've used both, I won't go without an OBP3.

I've also tried all but a handful of on-board preamps under $400. Only reason I didn't try the 'handful' thats left is they don't work with active pickups. I'm happy with my pickups.

12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I found the OBP-3 a VERY clean preamp. I had the OBP-3SK, and the one thing that I like about it is that there are about 8 different things you can do with the MID frequency. You can use a mini toggle between diff freq. sweeps, you can wire it w/o the switch for either Mid frqu...the wiring diagram comes with a bunch of different ways of wiring it up. Very cool little preamp.

13. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    My GMP Elite bass has 3 normal knobs and one double stacked knob. 4 total. What kind of Aguliar OBP 3, would be the best fit for this knob configuration? You guys have me sold on getting one. :)

14. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    no experience w/ the Aguilar, but I have an EMG BTC installed on 2 of my basses, both of which also have EMG J pickups.

I'm replacing one of those BTCs with an ACG/East preamp this weekend, so that should probably give you an idea of how much I love [sic] the BTC.

They work, they're fine, they won't kill your children...but they're just not that special.

15. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I know there is an option for using 18 volts versus 9 volts. If I'm using the OBP-3 with active EMG's will the extra volts make that much of a difference? Or would it be over kill? I'm thinking the OBP-3SK/PP would work bestfor having 4 knobs with one being double stacked. Is this correct?

16. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    Bump.

17. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Do the 18 volts if you can. You will not hear an increase on volume but it give you more head room and also better tone.

18. Tbfus

Tbfus Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I'm guessing style of playing means a lot...I play fingerstyle and slap quite a bit and my Hamer with the EMG BTC and EMG 35J's sound great...Live or in the studio...Everyone is different but for me and my style I can't imagine a better tone for what I'm doing...All the studio work I've done is the same, warm strong signal and sound with a lot of versatility...My 2 Cents...Everyone is different...

Laura Camacho likes this.
  19. BluesFunk

BluesFunk

Feb 4, 2017
    Australia
    Hi Chris, Greetings from Australia. I recently slapped in a pair of JVX PUPs hardwired to 2 EMG passive pots @ 25k Ohms...the hotwire I ran from the Neck PUP to the BTC input. The system is basically running in series. When the neck PUP is On alone, it has a beautiful organic Pbass tone and the BTC only enhances the bass/treble tone on top giving it a very rich Pbass sound, which would be hard to tell the difference with eyes closed. When I put both Pups On, the blend between the two is very subtle between the bridge growl and the Pbass tone.
    When I run the Bridge PUP alone because of the wiring configuration, the Neck PUP is also slightly on, but, this gives the fat growl of the Bridge PUP a slight extra warmth and a bit more beef. Overall I am more than pleased with the result I achieved from my 'Novice' hand wiring feat lol. Two of my bass fiend friends have also asked me to set their expensive basses up the same way, one of them is a Pavel and the other is a real deal Fender Jazz because my Squier Classic Vibe BTC loaded axe makes theirs sound like poopie hahaha

20. BluesFunk

BluesFunk

Feb 4, 2017
    Australia
    The most important part on a bass guitar are your fingers