1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG help....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kenner, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I own an 86 and an 87 Guild Pilot with the active EMG's.....

Does anyone know what the model of the pick ups would be, or does it even matter?

Point is, there is a definitive volume difference between my E string to the rest of the strings on my 87. Pick up height is consistent, battery newish (3 months). Guess it may have always been that way, but I am just noticing it now. Prolly because I just picked up a used Alembic Epic and am noticing night and day differences between tones....I have had 3 Pilots over my years and could "never leave home without them". Now I have this pesky Alembic, and I all of the sudden don't care as much for my Guild's.... :(

Do active pick ups "wear out"?

Opinions please.... :)

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Bahhh, just enjoy the pesky Alembic ;)

3. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    It's not because of those giant gouges in your pick ups that you showed me would it?
    I have EMG's in one of my basses and they are passive with an active preamp and should not wear out. I would think yours is the same. Seriously though, I think the Alembic has spoiled you.
    Could be a string issue also.

Dave

4. OP - are they EMG or EMG-Hz? Are you ina non standard tuning?

5. Awesome!......That's the black one (86)........

I'm blown away by how differently the 3 of them sound. The 86 is solid, the 87 (red) is a bit twangier (except for the E string volume fade), and I sold the 88 (natural) about 2 months ago cause it lagged behind the other 2 in "Presence" on the tone side.....

F'n Alembic.......I need another one......NOW! ....hopes for an Exploiter or Persuader.......:)

6. They are definitely "EMG"...not the HZ's

Tuned a half step down, but it isn't making any difference where I'm tuned.....It prolly lies more in the P pick up than the J.....

7. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Ok...I have to ask...have you changed out the E string? I have had this ongoing problem with E strings on various basses sounding flat, hollow or dull many times. So Im just curious if your E string is twisted or not "breaking" over the saddle correctly. I have many sets of active EMG PJ's and never had a set go bad, or sound bad on one string...seems like the A string would be affected too.

8. I change strings on all of my basses every 8-10 hours of live stage time....or they will break (read: I MOVE strings, Mr. Rumble will attest)..............

and I agree, I'm lost on why just the E....I use DR Highbeams

9. MrRumble

MrRumble

Aug 8, 2006
    Plymouth, MN
    I stand corrected, I've got EMGhz's. Now you got me feeling really bad about passing on that custom Alembic at Willies earlier this year. Made all my basses sound terrible.

10. I think that went to Finland, if I'm not mistaken....priced a bit high as well.....imho....

E string swappage will prolly happen tonight.....got lotsa 70's tunes to learn for my next project...."The Nines"

11. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I've had about a dozen or so Pilots over the years ... never had a problem with the EMG's. Perhaps the lag is due to string height ... try it at different heights. As far as, do active pickups die ... it's not very common, but anything can happen.

... if all else fails ... blame Alembic. :D

12. The strings are close enough to make the canyon-like gouges in the pickup covers that Mr. Rumble saw......I'll try a new set o strings tonight and give 'er "what for"......

13. I'm blaming Alembic....... it still sounds the same.....new strings, new battery.....meh

I just might shop for new pick ups......

14. Do you have a good break angle over the nut? What gauge strings are you using?

15. Yeah, the angle is good (3 wraps around the peg) and I am using 45-105's................idk

16. A very helpful person at EMG thought the problem might lie in the P pup. It makes sense to me (I'm dum) because it's not as volume related (which I stated earlier, sorry) as much as it is "mid-bass/bass tonality" related, if that makes sense. He has heard of the issue before and just said replace em......

So, I'm gonna.....and buy another Alembic for good measure.....:)

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The Pilot bass used active EMG-J pickups, and some used the P/ J set..

If you want something more Alembic-y in the Pilot, try some Basslines Pro-Actives. I've installed them on some basses back when they used to have DIP switches on them, and they get a very smooth bright tone that reminded me of an Alembic.

You might also find some used Alembic Activators, but they are way too expensive new.

18. Thanks! I'll look into those.....I appreciate the idea :)