1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EMG HZ vs EMG SSD

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sub forum, May 30, 2007.

1. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    I have a pair of emg hz's humbuckers kicking about from an upgrade to EMG 35dc's.
    I recently aquired a spector legend ns bass for much cheapness ,it has emg ssd pickups on it .I am thinking about putting my spare set of HZ's on it to give it a bigger sound .
    can anyone tell me the difference in the HZ's vs The SSD's ?
    Befrore i get out the soldering iron .:help:

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If I'm not mistaken, the SSD was the predecessor to the HZ, and I doubt they're much different at all. Both are passive pickups, too.

The SSD pickups were originally custom-made for Spector before HZ pickups were around, but I think they all use HZ pickups now.

BassKing101 likes this.
  3. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    Thanks MYSTICBOO ,
    I thought they were much six and half a dozen myself .
    I can keep the HZ's for some other project .:)

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I just checked the Spector website... apparently, they use both?

I guess the SSDs are still in production. From what I've read here on TB, though, they don't really seem to be that different.

Hmm... I guess we should wait for Spector users to chime in on this one.

5. Stoney Lonesome

Stoney Lonesome

Aug 22, 2007
    sre the ssd's splitable? IE do they have all the wires for splitting the coils?

6. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I THINk that the SSD pickups are the Spector made - EMG designed pickups. They are found in the less expensive spectors than what the EMGHZs are found in which leads me to believe this.

7. Emergancy Exit

Emergancy Exit

Sep 26, 2007
    Mobile AL
    spectors have active EMGs too

i think ssd's are inferior to the HZ. the HZ's are better technology.

sounds like you hae made up your mind on the 35 DC's good choice.

8. Stormbringa

Stormbringa

Feb 20, 2008
    Scotland
    Being a soundcontrol employee and spector endorsee i believe the HZs pack alot more punch, the SSDs are found on the cheaper Spector range but still sound great for the money. All else fails hit up active EMGs or Seymour Duncan Basslines. :)

9. Musicman_Neuss

Musicman_Neuss

Nov 11, 2008
    SSD: Stuart-Spector-Designed
    cheaper then the HZs but quite similar i think.

ArtisanLuthiers likes this.
  10. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    Well after a year of getting round to it ,my spare set of HZ's have replaced my SSD's on my Spector holoflash legend .First off i put it through my rig with my usual settings and the difference is so clear that i wished i'd got the finger out earlier.The Bass sounds monumentally different at the bottom end .The SSD's sound very thin and trebley in comparison,while the HZ's are warm and punchy RESULT!!!!
    So if anyone is thinking of doing the same kind of swap i recommend it ,it makes a cheap £200 spector sound like it costs the same as a £700 pro series spector .

Helix likes this.
  11. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Blaine, WA
    is the SSD the same size as the EMG35?

i have a chinese spector and i want to upgrade the pickups to one of many "direct replacement for emg 35" pickups i see around. probably duncan phase II passive. thoughts?

12. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    Yes the pick ups are the same size , i upgraded to 35DC's on my Rex , then replaced a set of SSD's on another spector with the HZ's from the Rex :bassist:

13. doctorgonedon

doctorgonedon

Jan 27, 2008
    I saw a posting once from EMG somewhere, and I forget where. It read that the Hz's and SSD's were essentially the same pick-ups, with a small difference in the frequency response. This may have may accounted for your preference in the Hz's. I have two Korean Spectors with Hz's and two Korean spectors with actives. All with varying preamps from EMG, to Tone Pump, to Aguilar. I recently traded a cheap bass for a Spector Performer with SSD's. I note that they play similarly to the HZ's, but yes, sound a bit different. I will try my spare set of HZ's to see if I can detect a major difference.

Many people prefer passice pick-ups to active one's. I think Jeff Berlin is one of them. One factor is the distance from the strings. Passive pups allow for the distance to be much farther and still grab a lot of jam. My personal opinion is that I prefer the flexibility and noiseless design of actives, and that your choice of preamp will make a enormous amount of difference in the sound. Again, I have both passive and active pups on several Spectors, and I like them both.

Will get back to you on my perception of the SSD-Hz change-out.

Cheers! :bassist:

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I wrote to Spector about this a couple of years ago and they told me that the SSD was an EMG HZ made to their proprietary specs with a different midrange response.

SSD = Stuart Spector Design

That's pretty much the goods straight from the horse's mouth.

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I think youll get better articulation and overall sound lows thru highs with the HZ's. Not giant diff, but some. Maybe as much diff as between the early emg selects and current new hz's. Which can be substantial depending on particuliar model (esp true for the guitar versions of their current hz humbuckers compared to the selects of long ago. I kinda think of the ssd's as just a slight improvement to about the sound same as those early selects in some ways. In their time they was nice. But lotsa improvements to emg hz have been made since then imo.

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I want to say that SSDs are pretty much HZs with a bit of a mid scoop but you can't really tell because the Tone Pump is such a piece of crap and gives its own mid scoop.

17. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I don't care what they are supposed to be, but my Legend with SSD's and the tone pump Jr. sounds great. In fact, I like it better than my Euro Spector with real EMG's as that is just too much "active" if that makes sense.

outoftune likes this.
  18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    SSD = Stuart Spector Designs, LTD. He had EMG make his own private label pickups.

19. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    This thread is old but...

So, this information leads me to believe that the SSD's would give the tone that Stuart intended for that particular model they are installed in. Right? I would think so.

I have to agree with Lync. As I feel the same way about them. (the SSD's w/TonePump Jr.)
    I can hear they are a perfect match with the Maple Bodied Legend 5.
    My previously owned Euro Rebop 5 had HZ's with the Tone Pump Sr. and there isn't much difference AT ALL.
    This is why I'm so pleased with this Legend. Been searching for that Rebop tone for years since I, ugh, sold it.
    I'm quite sure Spector has employees that do sound tests in pickup/preamp selection for each model.

I'm considering plunking down a few bucks for a set of 40-DC's. I have a feeling they may be too "active" for my tastes, but I dunno... I'd like to hear it but am still very happy with my tone now. Hmmm....

20. Jeff Clegg

Jeff Clegg

Jun 4, 2015
    Guitarscapes, LLC dba Clegg World Guitars
    Although I've played electric guitar for 40 years, I've occasionally "fiddled" around with electric bass. I finally bought one, a Spector, with EMG-SSDs (and a Crate bass practice amp). I also have a Schecter Omen-6 and it has EMG-HZs. I have to say that for an inexpensive starter bass, the SSDs sound good to me. Not sure Jaco Pastorius would agree but I bet he wouldn't have complained.

Helix likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021