Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emotive - A Perfect Circle

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blunk, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey,

i just bought the album today, since i first heard Mer De Noms i was hooked on APC, they are in a class of their own - intelligent, articulate music.

And i snapped up The Thirteeneth Step as soon as it came out.

anyhow, i was just wondering if anyone else got the album?

i _love_ their version of Lennon's 'Imagine' :hyper:

i've listened to it quite a lot in the half a day or so i've bought it.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    We got it in a week early at the student radio station I work at (Shameless plug: http://www.hrfh.net). I ripped it to my Power Book last week and have listened to it a few times. I LOVE "Imagine" and like the treatments they gave to a few of the other songs, but I do think it's a bit monotone. It just has this slow, brooding feel the whole way through. Not really a bad thing, but it can sort of blend together where I can't tell one song from the next sometime. Pretty good CD, though.

Now...I want the new Tool CD!!! That's gonna be the money disc!!! :hyper: :help: :hyper:

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    HAHA i had it 2 1/2 weeks before anyone else :) bit torent whoo hoo yea imagine is the best song on it IMO followed by passive(vacant) i like depeche modes people are people way better. yea i cant wait for TOOL's new album it better own as much as the rest, it probably wont. everything coming out lately is crappy, i had emotive at such hi hopes but then it went down :p
    hopes tool's doesnt come out like that

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually i hear from inside sources (somehow) that Tools new cd is their best stuff yet.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's good to hear. I thought Lateralus was awesome.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I heard the whole new APC album today for free online. Thanks, Media Player! It was pretty good, although I'm a much bigger Tool fan.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tool is amazing. Some of their stuff..Disposition..some of the composition of some of their instrumental pieces is insane.

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Isn't the new APC album a bunch of anti-war covers?? Boring, I would rather hear original material. APC is good, but I still consider then diet Tool.

And why didn't they cover War Pigs, I was expecting that to be on it.

9. If Tool could keep the intelligence of the Lateralus CD, but go back to their heavier roots a la Undertow, then that would be the schiz. I liked Lateralus, but less than Aenima, and that one less than Undertow. Just sounds too much like their getting "soft". Of course, Opiate was awesome as well, just a lot more raw than the others.

I too, think of APC as Tool-lite. I still like them, though.

Just my opinion, of course.

Later,
    Totengräber

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have it on pretty darn good authority that Passive is actually a Tapeworm song. It's probably the only Tapeworm song that will ever see the light of day. :scowl:

11. I heard there was a Zeppelin cover on it, is that true?? if so , is it any good??

12. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    yea "when the levee breaks" its alright, not the best on the album but still pretty good

i love laturalus the bestest. and the other 3 are in tie for 2nd :)

apc owns too but i dont consider them tool-lite at all. they dont sound anythign alike. or even sing about the same stuff, tool consintrates more on anger while apc consintrates more on hate.
    according to maynard anyway.

man the next tool album better own ass. i dont care what other people say about it as long as i love it. but ill take yoru word on it this one time :) any idea when its expected? :)

13. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Wait, who or what was/is tapeworm?

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Was suppose to be a project with Maynard and Trent Reznor. I don't why it's so hard for them to release the dam record. I guess they didn't work well together. Which is a shame, i'm sure it would have been interesting.

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, Tapeworm started as a project with Danny Lohner (Trent's longtime guitarist and yes-man), Maynard, and Atticus (one of Trent's programmer bitches). Trent liked what he heard, swooped in, and kind of took over. There's some Tapeworm stuff floating around at the studio, but it will never be released. What's finished is awesome, but I think Trent's too busy trying to get his own career back on trakc to be fooling with a side project.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have the new APC cd now. Its interesting if you go into it expecting nothing. It is certainly, oddly, less musical than the previous cds, and more experiemental, and you can tell Maynard kind of let loose on this one. Its interesting.

17. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Just got the album over the weekend. I think its cool, but I don't like it a whole lot. Imagine I dig and I think Passive is great,(can't miss with Trent in the mix) but thats about it. I like what Billy and Co. did but I just don't really care for the songs. A little too winey sometimes. Anti-war/Politcal songs don't usually do much for me, oh wait I do like Rage and Bad Religion thoug? Oh well guess I am a hypocrite:(

18. yea can't wait for tools new album.
    I heard it is gonna b their heaviest yet, they said when they tourd with fantomas and meshugga it was a real kick in the face.

19. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    OMG I got it the day it came out (tuesday rite?) and I loved it. Very tasteful.
    When I heard Fiddle and The Drum I almost creamed myself.
    Can't wait for Tool's new CD. Hopefully it will be a good mix of HEAVY rock and stoner music.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Good. They need it.

I went to see Meshuggah opening for Tool (I didn't give a rat's ass about seeing Tool). The show was so disorganized that I waited in line to get in with thousands of other people while Meshuggah hit the stage, played their set, and walked off stage. I was PISSED!

Tool was just so-so. They need the power of rock back! They need Paul D'Amour!