1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

End pin advice

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    My DB has a heavy steel endpin with a rubber tip - to make the bass lighter, I am thinking of replacing it with either a wood or fibreglass type. In either case, is it a fairly straight forward job, or are there any watchouts to consider? If wood, is it again a case of a trip to the timber yard and if pernabucco is not available, what other type of wood could be used? I am not considering a bent pin.

Thanks for reading!

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Great, thanks - I might just try a few!! you couldn't post a pic, could you?

4. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    I have a drumstick 2B that works well.
    I'm very interested to try the K.C. wooden endpin. Maybe in the future...
    Someone has one of them? Impressions?

Bass Endpins

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings

I can't recommend mine because out of the two I tried, this is the one that holds. The other receiver wouldn't hold the pin.

The setup Jake uses is probably a better bet.

6. RCWilliams

RCWilliams Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 23, 2007
    Merriam Kansas (Kansas City)
    owner RC Williams Co. LLC
    The idea behind the "pegleg" hybred end pin was to have a fixed length pin where the thumb screw is used only to keep the pin from falling out, the mass of the bass is supported by sitting the button on the top of the wooden pin. I made a couple for Ken Smith, and there are a few more out there.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Andy, thanks for the prod! ;)

I just posted a couple of pix of the Metropolitan Music #6425 with and without drumstick on the 'Bass Endpin' page at www.thebassspa.com. Unfortunately I don't have a new stick right now and had to use the dented one from my bass... :(

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Jake, have you ever tried this cane tip?: Buy CVS Small Base Quad Cane Tips 1/2 Inch online at CVS.com

I sit and found that this tip grips the floor much better than the normal crutch tip. It has a metal washer in the bottom which allows the tip to pivot on the end of the drumstick so the entire tip is always flat on the floor. Weird but it works and I haven't lost one in the year I've used it. Try it.

You too, Rick.

9. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks for doing that, Jake!

10. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    That sounds good Greg, especially the swiveling part. Do you know who makes them? How about the black leaving marks on carpets and other flooring? That's why I use the white 5/8" Shepherd tips - domestic harmony for all concerned... ;)

Edit: I should have shown the end of the stick - I grind them flat on the belt sander.

11. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    ;)

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I bought them at my local CVS pharmacy in a pack of four for about $7. Dunno if you have them out there. Yes, they can leave marks on carpeting but never had problems on other surfaces. Once I left a few rememberances on white shag but all was forgiven. Maybe this style comes in white?

As far as grip, this style is very good when sitting.

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Thanks Greg. No CVS but they buy the tips from a distributor so... ;)

14. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jake and others,

All things being equal - weight etc - tonally is your preference for carbon fiber or wood? I know it's one of those questions (well it depends on the bass, strings, tailpiece etc), but is there a general sense that wood makes the bass "warmer" while the cf gives the bass a "bigger" sound (which has been my experience)

Thanks

Louis

15. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Guys, could you simply take out the steel end pin and replace it with a wooden / fibreglass rod? That is keep the existing "collar" used to fasten the end pin? When using wood (instead of steel) would the fastening of the end pin eventually damage the wood?

16. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    That's why I use the #6425 - that little puck allows the use of C/F or wood. Most endpin thumbscrews just chew the wood to shreds in a couple of uses...

17. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Do you sell these, Jake? Or can I make myself? Thanks

18. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    You can buy the whole #6425 endpin assembly (with puck and puck recess) from Metropolitan Music and the Vic Firth SD1 drumstick from your local music store. At least, that's where I get mine from. ;)