end pin flange instead of tip

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by turf3, May 5, 2019.

  1. turf3


    Sep 26, 2011
    I saw a guy with an endtip end that was a rubber flange with a ball and socket joint. I guess the diameter of the flat round part was 3" or so. He said he had bought it from Lemur many years ago, but they don't have anything like that listed on their site. Does anyone have an idea if these are still sold and if so by whom?
  2. The old one was the STA (end)pin rest, but is no longer available. I got one about 30 years ago, but over time the rubber got hard and the disk slipped. That old version worked for up to 12mm endpin diameter.

    There is a new one on the market (also for cello) for endpins of max. 10mm diameter. Cannot remember the manufacturers name but they should still be available.

    I'm more happy with the Wolf Super-Endpin (rubber ball with a socket). That works better than the disk, but since the rubber is soft, the ball easily gets a hole at the bottom over time.
    Since the rubber balls are not available alone, you need to buy a complete assembly when the ball is damaged. I prefer a normal rubber stop for transport now (or an already damaged ball) and the next Wolf ball only gets mounted when I arrive at the destination.
  3. turf3


    Sep 26, 2011
    Any retailers other than "Ebay from China"? (I was unable to find anything other than the link above, which is why I asked.)
  4. nogbert

    nogbert Supporting Member

    Jul 18, 2010
    Denver, CO
    "ebay from China" isn't any worse than from anywhere else. Anyone who carries them is likely getting them from the same place in China anyway and charging you more to be the middleman.
  5. turf3


    Sep 26, 2011
    I understand that it's probably the same object, but would prefer to deal with a US based retailer (e.g., Gollihur; Lemur; Cincinnati Bass Cellar, etc.) rather than "some guy" somewhere in China.