1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End Pin Shaft Question?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by SRT80, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Can you replace just the shaft only on a bass or is a whole complete end pin replacement the only way?

My shaft only has 2 grooves in it. So I only have 2 options for height adjustments. If I try to extend it too far and not tighten it in one of the grooves, it ends up slippin'.

I'm about 6'5" so I need the shaft to be able to raise the bass up for my height.

So I was wondering if there is way to just buy a new shaft and install myself or am I lookin' at a complete change? I loosend the shaft and it won't slide all the way out.

Does this make any sense?

Steve

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It sounds like you are calling the endpin itself the "shaft"? If so, if the endpin is long enough to get your correct height, you may be able to have a new groove cut. If not, you can get a new endpin that is long enough, just make sure it is the correct diameter for your socket.

3. Yes, I'm new to this. I seen places selling shafts only.

My endpin is long enough, but only has 2 grooves.

I thought it might be easier if I could find one the same size with the extra grooves. I know the Engelhardt endpin (shaft only) are reasonable.

But even if I was to try to cut a groove or take it to someone, I can't get the end pin out. I loosen it and slide it all the way it just stops like it's stuck?

I figured it would just be a "slide the old one out, slide new one in" haha. But not the case with mine.

Steve

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    sounds like you need to take the socket out and see what's keeping the endpin from being removed. I'm sure a luthier here can advise.

5. The endpin shaft is of course easily replaceable. The important thing is knowing the diameter of the current endpin to find a suitable replacement for your endpin assembly.

It sounds like your endpin has either a nail or a metal band tied to its inside end to prevent it from removing completely. This is common on many student level basses marketed to schools as young students are known to lose the endpins or take them out for "sword fights."

The best thing to do would be to remove the endpin assembly completely in order to extract the current pin. This requires loosening the strings significantly, which is perhaps a risky venture if you don't have any experience resetting a bridge or sound post. A local shop could help you at what I suspect would be very little cost, particularly if you are buying the replacement shaft from them.

Alternately, you could just saw the sucker in half and shake the inner part out through the F-hole. Not a great idea, but if you're impatient and don't mind denting up the inside of the bass it is a possibility.

6. It's cool. It's a cheaper bass so probably what you said.

I'm takin' the bass in to a local shop next week to get new strings. Williams Fine Violins in Nashville. I will see if they have a endpin they can sale me and maybe take care of it while the bass is there.

If they don't have a endpin I will see if he can still remove the "stopper" so I can order a replacement and do it myself.

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Measure the diameter of your endpin. The real cheapos are usually 5/16", which won't suit you at all if you're that tall. The bass will be bouncin' all the way up to Boston. You'd be best off replacing the whole assembly. If it's 3/8" then you can either replace the pin, or just have some more grooves ground into the one you have. If you're shop can't do it themselves, they can at least remove the pin for you, and you can take it to a machine shop and have it done - or just buy a replacement pin.

8. Thanks for the additional info. I will measure when I get home. I don't guess a complete replacement would be too bad. I know they aren't too expensive but I don't know about labor.

Steve

9. Update...

Believe it or not, the end pin is 3/8". So looks like I might get away with just replacing only the end pin.

Steve