1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End Pin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    On an acoustic Bass how important is the end pin to the sound?
    Is the wooden end pin the way to go for optimum sound?
    If one used a metal adjustable end pin does quality of the metal used make a difference?

2. It's really not that important as most basses use steel endpins today.

3. I'm sure it makes a difference, but there might be other, more important things to worry about. Some luthiers claim the wooden ones transfer sound better to the room, and thus produce more volume. You can also change the sound by using different woods.

One of my basses has an ebony pin, and I really like it. But not hearing a metal one on that bass, I cannot speak to how it compares to metal. I like it because you can fine tune the height, which is nice when I either wear thicker shoes or go barefoot.

4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    It all depends on the particular sound you are after. Different materials do effect the tone. You'll have to experiment to know on your bass.

6. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    every part of the bass has an effect on tone.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I've found that wood and carbon fiber pins allow the bass to resonate more which has also resulted in a bit more volume. The low end may be a bit more solid with a steel pin. You may just have to experiment and trust your ears.

Chuck Traeger's ideas are a bit controversial but I've found that they have merit.
    http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/charles-traeger

8. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I was quoting Chuck here. I made my own fixed endpin w/aluminum rod and a piece of walnut. I prefer this endpin over the stock metal one my bass came with, mine has a warmer sound and there is a slight, noticeable change in tone if I tighten the endpin screw or loosen it. My subjective observations

9. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Many thanks everybody for your replies-much appreciated.

Mike

10. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    If I were to go for a wooden end pin does that mean an end pin that is made completly 100% wood or a metal shaft with a wooden floor stop? Can anyone give an example?

11. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    A major problem with steel is excessive unused length up inside the bass. This absorbs energy which otherwise would be applied to the resonating wood.
    If you go to wood you have to be sure about the length you want.
    I have a carbon fiber end pin on my 'A' bass and it is superior to anything else. Be aware that you can't use a carbon fiber rod in a collar designed for a steel rod. The set screw for a steel rod will destroy cabon fiber. You have to buy the entire assembly and pay someone to install it.
    http://www.newharmonymusic.com/accessories.htm

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    You can use all wood or, a wood steel hybrid like the KC Strings pins.

13. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Here is the endpin I made.

Attached Files:

14. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Neat! Is it all wood? Turned or two pieces?

15. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Agreed. We usually cut a section off the ends of all our endpins prior to shipping...but I usually advise people to conservatively cut more off once they "learn" the bass.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...leading to the familiar brag, "Mine's shorter than yours." Oh, wait... :D

17. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Hey. Don't laugh. I'm working on a an invention that will revolutionize bass playing: an adjustable, plug-in, vibrating end pin which will eliminate finger vibrato and several threads on TB. :hyper:

18. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    It is made from a 3/4" square piece of solid walnut. Using a block plane I turned it into an octagon, drilled a 3/8 dia hole w/a drill press. The aluminum rod stock can be purchased at any hardware store, it is epoxied into the wood. The rubber tip is a from a drugstore - a replacement tip for crutches. Once I had the materials the whole project took minutes

19. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks.
    One more question: Do you think that the aluminum rod part, short as it is, negates the Traeger "all wood" dictum that seems to be the prevailing concept on TB?

20. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    How about glass? I bet it's never been tried.