1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Endless" finger board on custom bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snowforts, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Snowforts

Snowforts

Dec 30, 2008
    I'm looking into having a custom fretless five string made for me. I really like the concept of the Marleaux Diva with the "endless fingerboard".

GCSOd.

However, the $5000+ price tag is a bit too steep for me. What other folks make basses with extended fingerboards like this for under $2500?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    why not just ask Marleaux to make you a simpler version of the diva?

It's a very nice bass indeed , both in feel and tone and of course it is extremely well made.
    Otherwise I'd guess that most builders could do something like this.
    Just a matter of asking them.
    I think that pagelli still make the bass that inspired the diva but am also quite sure that the'll be on the real pricy side.

3. Snowforts

Snowforts

Dec 30, 2008
    I suppose I could ask. I dunno if they'll go half-price on something like that, but it couldn't hurt to try!

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Way back in ~1979 a friend of mine had a custom fretless Jazz Bass built from parts (Stars Guitars neck & body iirc) and the luthier/repair guy he hired to assemble it & do the setup added a fretless fingerboard extension that filled in the gap between the end of the neck and the pickup. Probably added $10 to the total cost of the instument.

Yeah, it wasn't as totally awesome as that one-piece continuous fingerboard pictured in the OP, but from across the stage who could tell? $10 versus $5,000, hmm...

5. goes to 11

goes to 11 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I doubt he would make a Diva for much less. I am currently finalizing a 6 constat order and seriously considering having him make me a Diva 5 fretless. I have had 3-4 Marleauxs, currently have 2 and they are ALL outstanding. :hyper: