Endpin mounted mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jneuman, May 30, 2005.

1. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this concept - either the old Ampeg or a new version? It seems like an easy way to mic a bass. Just put a small format condenser omni on the endpin with some isolation.

2. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    No personal experience, but everything I've heard or read suggests that it didn't sound very good
  3. Just conjecture, but if mics are supposed to be like ears, I don't see how this could work. Nobody I know has listened to the bass from the inside, and even if you could I doubt it would sound very good. I know they do it with acoustic guitar, but that's a different frequency range and volume level.
  4. jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, I can't recall in over 30 years of playing where a mic stuck inside the body of an acoustic instrument sounded good. All those frequencies bouncing all over the place and the boominess inside the body add up to mud.
  6. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I thought it was interesting to learn that Ron Carter uses (or used) a pickup somehow integrated with the soundpost on his bass.

The Sept. 2003 edition of Bass Player magazine which featured Ron on the cover says at that time he was combining a Realist with "a Kurmann system, which is built into the soundpost inside the bass."
  7. jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    The Kurmann Soundpost is out of production. But they still offer the violin version.
    You'll find their link at my website: http://www.doublebassguide.com/4_pickups.html