Enforcer - original solo for tenor bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kidcharlemagne, Apr 20, 2021.

1. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    Any other tenor bass players out there? Here’s a funky little solo I wrote for the tenor recently:

srayb, makaspar and NoiseNinja like this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, not quite, but I do have my main just 28,6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B Mikro Bass, with just an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup installed, wired directly to the output jack socket, tuned in F# standard tuning, as in 2 half steps above regular 4 string E standard tuning, strung with gauge .95 - .72 - .54 - .40 regular D'Addario roundwound nickle plated steel core strings (the two middle strings being guitar strings, threaded through the cut off ball ends of bass strings, to be able to sit in the bridge).

Which is actual the same tuning as traditionally used in classical music for upright bass solo pieces.

I also run my bass signal through my always on TC Electronic Sub'N'Up, to add 1 octave above, to give an effect similar to playing an 8 string bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings.

Use this setup for the mthat currently has my main focus, a bass/vocals and drums/vocals sort of progressive psychedelic stoner/doom rock duo.

@kidcharlemagne
    What tuning is it exactly that you use?

Also nice piece. :thumbsup:

Even if it isn't exactly my personal prefered style of music.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  3. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    Thanks, man - I’m using standard tenor bass tuning here, which is ADGC, so I just use the A, D and G from the string sets that I would use on my regular tuned basses, and add a high C. So the gauges are 70-50-30-20.
    And wow, your setup is kind of unique - how on earth did you even come up with that?? Was it the result of years of tiny modifications, or did you have a specific tone in mind and know that this setup would achieve it?
    K.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Wouh!!! :eek: o_O

Messed that up pretty badly, what I actually meant to write was:

I Use this setup for the musical project that currently has my main focus, a bass/vocals and drums/vocals sort of progressive psychedelic stoner/doom rock duo.

Cool :thumbsup:

And it's a little bit of both, I did have a fairly specific tone in mind, but kept adjusting my setup slightly to perfect it, which I am thinking I am finally getting pretty close to.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021