1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Engelhardt EC-1

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by TPugh, Apr 8, 2006.

1. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Just got a great deal on a used Engelhardt EC-1. I am enjoying learning on this bass and I intend on having it for a long time. Thinking long term, I have read that a different fingerboard may be a good idea. Is it possible to replace the EC-1 stock fingerboard? I would think someone with experience would need to do this kind of work for me and that's no problem. I just wanted to know if it is even possible or necessary. I would like to clarify that there is nothing wrong with the stock fingerboard. I would just like to know the opinions on eventually changing the piece adding benefit to the bass. Thanks for your feedback.

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    The EC-1 comes with an "ebonized" (dyed black) maple fingerboard. It works, but it won't last as long as rosewood or the (preferred by most) ebony - especially if you slap.

Yes, it can be replaced. It's your call as to when. Economics might suggest you wait until you notice wear or another problem with your fingerboard; then take it to a qualified luthier.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Could you fill out your profile? If we know where you are, we can suggest qualified luthiers to work on your new bass. Welcome to Talkbass!

4. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Profile complete, thanks. I am close to both Memphis and Nashville in Jackson, TN. Logistically, Memphis is closer, but I have heard great things about Jim Ferguson in Nashville. As I posted earlier, this would be a project for much later on. The bass had already been set up perfectly when I bought it and it plays/sounds great. I am just thinking about potential future changes to the instrument. Thanks again.

5. Hello neighbor! I am in McNairy County. Two other guys you should consider are Dustin Williams and David Harvey. Dustin is a luthier and David does bass repair for Gibson (his shop in hidden away in the back of the Gibson Showcase). They are both in Nashville and have done excellent work for me.