Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Enough For Reggae?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 7, 2005.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    400 watts at 4ohms through a 2X10 and a 1X15 both rated at 8ohms. SPL on the cabs 100. Enough headroom for low frequencys?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would think so.

I use a 300w amp currently, and in the past a 350w amp.

You're usually not fighting super loud Marshall stacks either...

Am I mistaken that you're main current objective is a rig for home/recording use?

3. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Yes, but I do hope to join a band. And, unfortunately, my friends all play hard rock through marshall half-stacks... I might end up playing some of that type of music with them :crying: and would like to keep up. When we do play, and I talk them into reggae(although they laugh playing thier 2 and 4 reggae riddim parts), we frequently play outside.

But your right, for the most part I am probably being excessive. Just worried about those dub frequencies taking up a ton of headroom.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't think you are being obsessive at all. You really need solid bottom end to play reggae; a reggae band with a wimpy sounding bass doesn't sound good. The setup you mentioned would be a nice, all-around bass rig. You could just bring one cab for practices, but would still have enough guts for the bigger gigs.

I play a ton of reggae, and I use a Sansamp RBI pre and a 650-watt power amp into 2 Aguilar 1x12s. These cabs are great for reggae, and are small and easy to carry. I mostly play in small to medium-sized clubs, and my rig has a nice, loud and deep reggae tone. I run through the PA's subwoofer, however, whenever I can.

5. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I considerd the Aggy 12's, dont really know why i decided not to go with them.
    I might decide to go with a full 4x10 1x15 setup as I can get that for the same price.
    With the much speaker surface I should have plenty of bottom end.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    on a slightly unrelated sidenote, a DOD FX-25B sounds great for reggae, with the filter set so that it barely warbles, if at all, at normal playing intensity.

7. vibemaka

vibemaka

Jun 11, 2005
    Who cares what your Boyz say. Reggae music is the s#it! I'm in a Roots Reggae band and my guitarist plays on a Half Stk. I use 8x10 cab for my bass. And we kick @$$ with our music. If front of skins, metal heads or rappers. They like it!
    One love.......................Vibemaka

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i will say that aggie 112 cabs sound fantastic for reggae. but anyhow, its hard to say if what you have will be enough but it probably will. For that type of music i find that the voicing of the cab is especially important. you want cabs with a big round full low end. i can get a decent reggae sound with my bag ends, but they're not perfect for it.