Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

enough power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I am looking to a head with enough power to run an avatar B212+a neo b210. The heads I have been looking at are the peavey Tmax, or the Yorkville xs400h or the 800, and possible an older carvin probass 500, or one of the newer carvin head not the redlines. but Im not totally sure I if the yokie will run down to 2 ohms like the peavey will. I am one of those type of people that never like to really have to push their stuff because with the rig I have now after about 3/4 on the gain knobes things just start to sound bad. I am up to any other suggestions but I am on a pretty tight budget so Im really not looking at spending over $500 and Im really not into ampeg or swr if that makes a difference. thanks

2. 1. Add the rms ratings of the cabs together.
    2. Figure out the ohm rating of the cabs in parallel.

Find an amp that puts out 1.5 to twice the power of #1 at the ohms of #2.

If one cab is substantially lower power, multiply the smaller RMS rating of the 2 cabs by 4 instead of adding the cabs ratings together and multiplying by 1.5-2.

Rule of thumb. Other opinions vary.

If #2=2 ohms, then you can't bridge. Take the rms rating of the highest rated cab at its ohm rating find an amp that puts out 1.5 to 2x that power at that ohm rating.

If the cabs have substantially different power ratings, try to keep the amp below 2x the rated power of the lower cab.

2 300W cabs (600w combined) can use 900-1200W of power.

1 300W and 1 200W cab, multiply the big cab by 1.5 and the smaller one by 2. Try to get a power amp in that range, so the lower cab isn't overpowered by more than factor of 2, but trying to keep the larger cab overpowered by at least 1.5 or close to it.

300Wx1.5=450W
    200Wx2=400W
    Go for around 400w/channel You still have some headroom for larger cab, but aren't going too crazy on the smaller cab to where its doomed to self destruct.

Randy

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa Boogie 400+ will run at 2 ohms;)

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    So you already ordered the cabinets and have them, and are four ohms each? Then you need an amp that can run two ohms easily or is has two-channel power amp, which may be hard in your budget.

If you have two four ohm cabs already: I suggest either a BBE BMax (SS) Pre-amp ($300 new, $200 used) into the best QSC amp you can find (850 is $300 new, 1450 $400 new), or the same poweramp with a Sansamp RBI. The BMax will get you a clean sound, the Sansamp a more "tube-y" and mid-scooped sound.

If you don't have the cabs already (eight ohm cabs): The above suggestions would work great as well. Or you could go for a nice head, for $500 I would pick up a new GK 700RB-II or a used 1001RB-II for a clean sound; for a more colored sound an SVT-3 PRO from Ampeg (used) may be to your liking.

5. I havent bought the cabs yet but, they are what I am looking at buying. My plan is to get a new head and then when I get enough prob buy the 212 than the 210. I know its nice to get an amp that will run down to 2ohm but I will prob get 2 8ohm cabs. and the mesa although nice is out of my budget range. :bawl: and a pre/power set up would be nice also but I dont think Im their yet. and Im not really a fan of the GK tone, its too not full I dont know how to explain it but its not my cup of tea. Also I have read some good stuff about the peavey firebass which will put out 700 watts at 2ohms. Im not really looking to go power crazy in that all the shows in my area will be pretty small and if they go larger I will have PA support. And I seem to have a bias towards peavey stuff. I think they have good tone and and near indectructable IMO.

6. has anyone every had anyproblems with hartke theirs a ha500 on the bay right know for a pretty good price