Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entwistle's replacement

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Futurebass, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    First off I'd like to say they shouldn't call it the Who without Keith and John. They were the best thing about the band.

In my opinion Pino Palladino may be a good session cat, but he doesn't have the right style to replace Entwistle. Actually they made a similar mistake when they got Kenny Jones to replace Keith Moon.

So who would have been an appropriate replacement? Any suggestions?

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i am huge who fan. i really dont think that you can replace moon and entwistle. although i think zak is the closest thing to moon. he plays with passion and fire. entwistle....no one i have ever heard could come close. i met john a few time and he was always cordial and signed autographs for me. i truely believe that no one could even come close to replacing him. one of a kind

3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    are you asking who could or who should do it?

Personally, I think it would have to be someone with a 'lead bass' style, and I can think of two: Billy Sheehan and Tim Bogert - but I don't think they should continue playing as the Who...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well Pete and Roger own the name, so they have every legal right to call themselves the Who. Sure, it's not the same as it was, but it's not like they're breaking the law. The Who is a valuable and marketable name for them, and I think they'd be fools to give it up because two of their members topped themselves with drugs. You have every right not to like the Pete and Roger version of the Who, but they have every right to continue as the Who if they want.

As for Pino, I think the reason they got him is because the tour was starting in like 4 days and they needed someone who they were sure could learn all the songs in 4 days and not flake out. Maybe they agreed with you guys in the end, though, because they had a different bassist at Live 8.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really loved Entwistle, but I saw them last summer with Pino, and they where great!!!! I don't think Pino is playing with them now, he's out with John Mayer.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Great choice on Billy Sheehan. :cool: He would be a logical choice IMO.

But the Who without the Ox is much like Led Zeppelin without Bonzo. :(

7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    My whole thought with Tim Bogert is that he was playing at the same time as The Who, what with Vanilla Fudge and all. Besides, he is a brilliant bass player to boot.

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Rock is dead they say -- LONG LIVE ROCK

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Well, since nobody can fill those particular cowboy boots (tho the guy at Live 8 did a decent job) let's update the old sound for a young, hip crowd. FI3LDY!!!!!!!!!!

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Never mind the brilliant songwriting and guitar playing and monster vocals........:)

Could they tour as The Who without Rabbit Bundrick?

11. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I don't rank Pete and Roger in the same league as John and Keith.

Pete's songwriting started out as an imitation of and never surpassed Ray Davies.

Roger is a fairly run of the mill front man. Now he's making infomercials.

Keith and John basically showed everybody in rock music the potential of their respective instruments. They were innovators and revolutionaries.

There is a bias in music toward the top line rather than the rhythm section, but people who are on a forum called "Talkbass" ought not buy into it.

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

No one can replace the Ox. One of the great bass innovators in my book and a true original.

The Who ceased to be The Who when Keith died. Some great music since his death, but it wasn't and isn't The Who I knew. Kenny Jones was a great drummer with Small Faces/Faces and had a very good Keith Moon style playing at that time (listen to Small Faces at the BBC - amazing!), but when he joined The Who, it all went out the window and he became a proficient studio time keeper with none of the lunatic unleased fire that Keith brought to the table and was a large part of what made The Who The Who. Zak Starr? Outstanding. If there was one individual on the planet who could stand in for Keith without actually being Keith, it's Zak. He evolved into a tremendous drummer after being tutored from a very young age by none other than Uncle Keith. I believe he received his first drum kit from Keith too. Zak is probably the best immitator and student of Keith, but sadly there will never be another Keith.

Does anyone think The Beach Boys ceased to exist long ago? I mean, Mike Love is The Beach Boys? The least talented guy in the bunch? Ah, the business side of music stinks to high heaven sometimes. (ok, almost all the time)

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.

Wow, I can not disagree enough with your assessment of Roger and Pete. Love your assessment of the other two however.

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think Geddy should have done it... Oh! Sorry, Geddy's already taken, dammit!!!! :D

ANDRUCA

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The funny thing is I think you're serious....

16. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    My vote goes to....... NOBODY!
    Just shut it down and forget about it. These guys look stupid and ridiculous going out there looking like dried up old trees!
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Who and the Stones music, about 20 yrs ago! Anything after that is just garbage, and I think the Stones look really stupid to a point where I am embarrassed for them when I see that they are performing still. I can't stomach it..............

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I agree, Kenny wasn't nuts enough with the Who. Zak is close enough....

18. I'd be happy to have a go...

:)

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hope someday when you've devoted 40+ years of your life into an established career someone comes and tells you to just "shut it down and forget about it". :rolleyes:

20. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I think Flea is similar to a modern day Ox but is too different to fill in.I don't know who else could?