1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filter with Good Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Charley Umbria, May 16, 2012.

1. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I'm looking for an envelope filter that'll play nicely with my P-Bass. I had a 3Leaf Proton for a while and, while I loved the sound, I could never get the "quack" I wanted out of the pedal (see Spencer's demo video for excellent quackiness, BTW). My P-Bass has flats wounds and passive Fralin pups, which aren't super hot, but they're not wimpy, either.

I just need something for basic Bootsy/`70's funk/pop sounds. I won't be doing any crazy synth or dub stuff. I'd also like to stay in a "standard" single-sized box (which rules out the GR2, Q-Balls, and a few others).

Any recommendations? Are there any envelope filters known for having higher input sensitivity?

BassDuex likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter. Search over.

I've gone through a Q-Tron, a Proton, and an EBS BassIQ, none of them quack like the MXR. Not sure how it would work with flats, though. The more high mids you have, the better an envelope filter works.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

+ 1

The thing can quack from here 'til Tuesday. I think the manual also suggests a Bootsy setting. Very tweakable pedal.

4. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I had good luck with the Boomstick Bottom Feeder (super quacky), though they are impossible to find these days. The remake of them is the Mojo Hand FX Analogue Filter 442 (same company, new name, higher price).

Do note that I'm using a Warwick Thumb with active pu's and eq, and still had problems getting several top end filters to trigger. So who knows what the deal is there.

I just purchased a Proton and am hoping it'll do what the Bottom Feeder did (wish I never sold that little gem).

Good luck!

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    back in the 70's i had a seamoon electronic 'funk machine' and i loved that thing. i think that i still have it somewhere, but just hope that i can find it ;).

i currently have a Q-balls, a digitech bass synth wah, and mxr M82. IMO, they're all very good, but i right now the mxr is my favorite and it works great with my P basses (duncan spb1 or '62 AVRI pickups) with flats.

3-auto-wahs.jpg

6. Charley Umbria

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming! The MXR sounds promising, though.

FWIW, I tried running my old filter with the volume and tone wide open, and it didn't help much. I also tried using a buffered pedal to boost the signal before the filter, but it ended up leveling out the dynamics, instead of increasing the quack.

7. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Xerograph deluxe has the largest range for a sens knob on any filter that ive tried. The MXR is ok but doesnt sound close to as good and the sensitivity has a larger range on the xero d. IMO.

8. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I had an MXR and it wouldn't quack for me, using a Warrior with humbucking Barts. I've had a DOD FX25B and it quacked decently. My favorite is my Qballs, and coming a close second is my Pigtronix EP-2.

Remember, the MXR is a little bit of a darker filter than others. With you using flats, I would think that you'd want a little brighter filter. I think the Qballs is what you want, it's very tweakable and has a separate switch for a little bit of dirt that I really like and it adds just the right sound for me and makes the filter kick you right in the face.

9. Charley Umbria

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Yeah, I like the sound of the Q-Balls. Man, it's big, though. There's only so much room on my lil' Pedaltrain Jr.!

10. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

This what Bootsy uses...

Attached Files:

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the pic. I recognize most of the stuff on that board. As far as filters, it looks like he has an MXR BEF and a Mutron filter. I think I see a Digitech BSW too.

12. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Yup...MXR, a Haztron III+ and the DOD FX25.

13. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Maybe get an EP-2 and get a filter and phaser in a large pedal? i know you're looking for something small, just an idea.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What kind of strings do you use? Just curious. If anything, the MXR quacks TOO much, it's near impossible to not get it to quack on all four of my basses. But, I use nickel rounds on all of them and like lots of mids. So if you're using dead strings like flats it may not quack.

15. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Nah, no flats. I can't remember what type of strings came on the Warrior. I will say that it was my first filter and may have not given a long enough trial. However, I did tweak the settings on the pedal and on my bass EQ quite a bit and just never could get what I wanted. At the end of the day, the other filters I've had do quack with the Warrior.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i just made three quick and dirty clips of my three autowahs (pardon the clams!), going into the front end of an amp. the MXR and the q-balls allow you to mix/blend the level of the dry signal with the effect signal, the digitech doesn't. obviously, they are all capable of more tweaking but i just got these settings super quick.

bass: Pbass/Ti Flats
    amp: SVT7Pro/215 3015 cab
    recorder: zoom H4n

MXR M82

Digitech Synth-Wah

Q-Balls

hope this helps..............;)

17. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    +100

I LLLLLOVE that pedal.

18. Charley Umbria

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    LaBella 760FL's on the P-Bass. I also tried a Rumblefish (J/J pups) and a Gretsch 5123B, both strung with rounds. I had a little better luck with the Rumblefish.

19. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Can anyone do a rundown of everything on there? I recognize some stuff like the MXR BEF, boss flanger, digital delay (maybe two? and the Digitech Whammy.

What's the grey Boss one beside the MXR BEF with tape all over it?

Love the foam keeping the effects in place.

20. +1, I also went through a few before landing on the MXR.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021