1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani UL502

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Apr 2, 2006.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey guys I ran into a small isuue tonight, BTW I am so in love with my Epifani, I've owned it for about a year now.

I was using the DI out to run into the board and the signal was super hot, I did try lowering the level (knob on the back) and also dropped the gain on the mixer to almost nothing. I'm not sure how to handle this one.

I did some recording a few months back and actually used the preamp out into a countryman DI, no problems there....I am wondering if I need to do the same live?
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I've had no problems as you're describing with my 502. I've gone direct both live and studio without a direct.
    Have you gone direct before or is this the first time?
    It would be worth give Epi a call, Nick is in Europe right now but Vince should be able to give some advice.
    718-832-4664

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm..

sounds like a trip to the shop...

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have gone direct through the head on occasion, but not often. Never had this problem. We are in the process of upgrading our PA and I was planning on running direct to test things out at rehearsal.

The last session I did the engineer used my pre out into a DI box while I was in the other room, it sounded great so I didn't argue.

I have to say I wasn't at the board so it may have been operator error but maybe not.

5. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    You may want to double check everything again to make sure it's not an operator error before concidering to send back to Epi. Did you give them a call?

6. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I thought I could sort this out without making a call to Epi but I think an email is in order...It is me that is causing the problem, I'll explain my settings and options.

1. I play a Lakland Jo, passive with the rear pickup on only.
    2 Gain at 10 oclock, bass at 3 oclock, mid and treble flat.

If I lower the gain it doesn't help until it's below 9 oclock, past that the sound changes. I could run pre EQ but then I loose the mute function which may cause tuning nightmares and the such through the mains. Finally I could run the preamp out to a DI box which I think sounds the best but my signal is affected by the master.

Lowering the DI out knob on back does not help, the signal coming out of the head is distorting it is not actually overloading the board.

Any suggestions?