1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone EB-0 Electric Bass Any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mercenarywrench, Mar 31, 2009.

1. there is a very clean cherry one for sale at $140.00. I'd like to try a short-scale and wonder about this epi. Anyone have experience with this bass?
    thanks, b

2. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I like mine. I put flats on it.

Don't bother doing any picking/slapping/tapping on it though.

Really good for Beatles covers!

3. Dave...i love reggae...think this bass can pull off that bottom sound? I would put flats on it. What do u use?

4. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    dont buy it! i had one and i took it back! it cant cut through the mix (if you play alone its fine, if you play with a drum and a guitar, it disappears!!)

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Jack Cassady seems to think so. He's got one with a DarkStar.

6. I have one strung with flats as well. VERY specialized sound, but pretty good at what it does. I am planning a darkstar upgrade to help it in a band setting, but with flats and maxedo ut tone played with FORCE, it can be a passable bass for that muddy short scale thumpy sound. I use it to play Sabbath and Cream and it sounds pretty darned good. Definetly not a vintage EB-3, or a new Gibby SG for that matter, but for 140 bucks you will have a really nice bass. Also, quality wise mine is very well constructed and very very pretty for a bass that runs around 2 bills new. I could gripe here and there, but at that price why bother? I have it in a stable with a Ric, an Elrick and tweaked up MIM Jazz and I play it just as much as any of the others.

7. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I do not recommend - mine had terrible tone, worst of all I have owned.

8. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Horrible neck dive, mediocre tone.

It's great for looks though.

You can get it cheaper.

9. skechada

skechada

Jul 7, 2006
    I bought one for that price last year and was unimpressed to say the least. VERY muddy sound with no low end whatsoever. It's weird - the A, D and G strings sound 'ok' but the E string is non-existant when you're playing with anyone else.

Hope this helps.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Too much. $100 tops, used. Mint -- as in zero (0) fretwear, 100% perfect in all ways -- maybe $120.

If you believe it's a bass's job to "cut through" (and I do not, BTW) this is not the bass for you. It's also a shortscale, with all the inconvenience and limited options in stringing that means.

11. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    wait, did you use an amp? :eyebrow:

12. I string mine with GHS longscale boomers, just cut 'em a little shorter and you're good to go. Emphasize the hi-mids with some EQ and it cuts through just fine. I got it so I'd have something that sounds completely different than my jazz bass... best bang-for-buck ratio of any instrument I've ever owned.