1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

epiphone ripper

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    hi,so i wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about these things,like whats their tone like, and is it any similar to the gibson one??

also do you think that its still posible to find a brand new one in stores?? and how much do you think they cost around? thank you

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I had one and liked it. But the tone is P/J. Really nothing like the original Ripper (I also owned one of those.)

For this reissue they replaced the original Ripper pups with a Precision and a Jazz bass pickup.

I thought mine sounded quite good, though nothing like an original.

They went out of production in 2006 I believe. You'll only find one in a store if it's old stock they have had hanging on the wall since then that nobody's bought yet. I paid a little over $300 for mine and consider it worth that easy. I see them on eBay from time to time for between $300-$400.

I don't think I'd pay over $400-$450 for one.

3. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    thank you very much

4. Hi,

I've got an Epi Ripper with Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound P & J pup's. After that mod and a professional set-up, Its now my fave Bass by a mile, easily ahead of my Fender Hwy 1 P-Bass. I know Gallins Guitars in Melbourne, Australia still have some, but it might not be cost effective for you living in the USA. Good luck though, I hope you can get one of these basses that just ooze character.

Cheers,

Shane......