1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Thunderbird or Peavy Millenium BXP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steph0574, Nov 15, 2006.

1. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    Hi everybody,

This is my first post so let me know if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm currently in the process of buying another bass and can't decide between an Epiphone Thunderbird IV and a Peavy Millenium AC BXP (4 strings, active pickups).

I tried both and like them both.

What's your take?

Sorry for my english by the way!

2. That's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The Thunderbird will give you a deep, growly, old-school sound, whereas the Millenium will be very modern and bright sounding. It's all a matter of what you like. For my money, though, I would probably go with the Thunderbird, since their tone is more my style, but the pickups in the Peavey are the same as in the much more expensive Cirrus basses.

3. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    I currently own a Yamaha RBX 270 and I think it sounds like sh*t, no tone at all.

How would you compare the TBird's sound to a level-entry Yamaha?

I didn't get the chance to play the TBird loud with a band.

4. What is it that you don't like about your Yamaha's tone? Is it just dead sounding? It's quite possible that you just need a new set of strings. It's amazing what a good set of strings will do for a bass. If it's been more than 4 months or so since you've changed your strings, try that before you buy a new bass.

5. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    +1. I own a beaten up RBX270, too, and although it has witnessed a lot of travel and use, it is still a very playable bass. Buy some strings (I use D´Addario XL 45-100) and give it a try, and if you keep disliking it, then maybe is the time to search for a new bass.

Also, there are a few people here on TB who also have the RBX270 and may advise you on how you can make your bass sound better :)

(and yep, i really love low end Yamahas ;P)

6. I own a Gibson Thunderbird V and it sounds amazing, but I don't know about the Epiphone. Id imagine there would bea good diference in sound, because then people wouldn't pay the xtra for a Gibson. Try them both and see what you like.

7. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    Got a new set of string about a month ago. I use Rotosound 66LE (50, 100, 85, 110).

New strings sounds good on my Yamaha for about a week and then it sounds dead. I also have a cheap Jay Turser bass which I paid the same price (about 300$ CDN) and it sounds waaaaaay much better than my Yamaha even though it got some old ass strings on it (d'Addario).

Played unplugged (not that I play unplugged), the Yamaha sounds about 25% less louder than the Jay Turser.

And forget about slapping and popping with an RBX270, it sounds like the body is made of plastic...

8. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    And by the way, I play through a Yorkville 200B.

9. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    It used to have a d'Addario set of string but it sounded so dead, I tried to switch to Rotosound. It helped for about a week.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look around on ebay, or maybe check out some local dealers, and seek a USA Millennium. You could get one for not much more than a BXP Millennium, but you would then own a seriously wolrd class bass. Dan Lakin himself told me at last month's Chicago GTG that Lakland came out with the Skyline series in response to Peavey's USA Millenniums. IotaNet was right there when he said it.

11. I'd get the Peavey Zodiac bass over either of those. A good meat and potatoes bass that has alot of useful tones...... BUT, if I had to choose between the two, I'd say they are entirely different basses. The Epi Thunderbird is just a barebones rock bass, and the Millenium is a tad more modern sounding, but imo, again, neither is as versitile as the Zodiac, for the price.

Ron

12. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    Yeah i agree they're totally different basses. The Peavey has a good tone and output I think (for the price).

13. steph0574

steph0574

Nov 15, 2006
    I mostly play stuff like stone temple pilots, motley crue, gnr, live, led zep, black sabbath, etc...

So in the other hand the TBird might sound better for that style.

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ever see "Kids in the Hall"? The intro music, the bass part is played with a Gibson Thunderbird. That's really close to the Epiphone Thunderbird tone. It goes well with bands, IMO. I'm considering getting a T-bird myself..

15. Like everyone else has said they are totally beast. I have not tried the Millenium but I have tried The Peavey Grind BXP and was really impressed with it for the price. Judging by the bands you listed the sound of the T Bird might suit you more, but I would still go with the Peavey as I believe it will be more versitile and you can always eq your amp to get a bassier tone but when you need a more difined sound to cut through the mix you will be glad you have the Peavey.
    JUdging by your name I can assume you come from somewere in Quebec? Have you ever thought about the Godin Freeway Bass. Here in Ottawa $549 for the passive version and $629 for the active version really nice players for the price and really well built.

16. Well, Rob DeLeo uses a PJ style bass
    Duff Makagen uses a PJ style bass
    the dude from Live uses a P bass
    Jon Paul Jones was a J guy, no?

I still recommend a PJ unless you want dark n dirty. In no way am I dissing tbirds, in fact, I've built a couple...

17. If you go for the epi thunderbird, get one of the Gothic ones - they're made from mahogany (body and neck) , the standard ones are maple and the goth ones have better pickups.

The big and I mean BIG downside of the Thunderbird is its tendency for the headstock to want to head south when you take your hands off the neck. But it does growl like a beast.

18. Man those thunderbird are cool looking. With looks I would dfinatly go thunderbird :p .

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    See avatar.
    Had and sold an Alembic(frail neck on stage + mic cord = nope). If I want to get clean "modern" a real Gibson TB can do that. Epi TB does it ok. My low-cost neck-thru 5 string Douglas from Rondo does it just fine if I want to sound "like everyone else" and look like them too.

Yes, the Epi is VERY suitable for your music. Texas-based blues/rock + covers. Basses used:Orville by Gibson TB, Gibson TB, Epi TB. My avatar bass, DOOM, is used in every show.

For what YOU play, a TB is the bass. It can sound like many but looks like none.
    Nikki likes them I think....:D

20. fot the style you play i would say a Tbird, since i got my fenders (jag and tele P) my bird has been reserve of the drivey rock (think who and obviously motley) with the jag covering slower or mellower tracks and the P doing everything else........ the point of this semi rant the epi is good for the money (the newer ones have better pickups apparently, i have NO problems with mine) but you wouldnt go wrong with a P or even a PJ of a reputable make, where as the active in the peavey may be too modern sounding for you.

remember the Nikki bird is all black (go for the goth on ebay!! or even one of those SG's with the diamond plate scratchplate (think industrial floor) as they have emg's in, but look a little BC ritch tho