Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Episode III

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tash, May 6, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I just got the email notifying me that my lightsaber has shipped...that means I only have to locate a cloak and my Darth Tash enseble will be complete!

Anyone else have plans for the EP3 premeire?

2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    your a little weird for buying the costume lol jk..... but i'll definitley go see the new film

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, my plans are as follows:

1. Don't be a dork

2. See the movie at some point

brad cook

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    God, I hope they had someone with more then a fourth grade education write the dialog this time. Natilie Portman was not even believable delivering some of those lines in the last one. It was a darn funny movie tho, I don't think they intended that! I learned one thing from the last one,"Seeing a bad movie a second time on IMAX does not turn it in to a good movie". It was the first Sci-fi movie I've seen with a Tampon commercial "That was special" :p

5. George Lucas waiting half a lifetime to finish the whole story made me really glad that Peter Jackson didnt do the same thing with LOTR. Episode I - III just dont have the edge to em that IV - VI did....too family friendly. It's almost like they have a completely different director who had never seen Star Wars, Empire or Jedi.

Na.....I'll wait till this trilogy hits the bargin bin at Wal-Mart before I spend a dime.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm not much of a movie goer. I prefer the art houses.

But, I think it could be fun to see this film on the big screen. Also, it has gotten good reviews.

Besides, I'm 29 years old. I'm male. This is a part of who I am. While I didn't care for episode I, I thought II was fairly enjoyable, especially if you view it out of the context of the other films.

It'll run for months, I'll wait til July or so to see it. Hell, I've waited since 1977, what's another couple of months.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    star wars cheat sheet

[​IMG]

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Good plan, when are you going to start on #1? :bag:

Just kidding ya...someone had to say it.
    Marshall

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Kevin Smith gave it the thumbs up...

...whatever that's worth.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Come on Jazzbo we know you went to Armaggedon and cried like a baby.

11. Say what you will about the first two, I thought they had their moments but weren't great films...I think ROTJ was kinda crappy except for the closure between Luke and Anakin.

This new movie is going to kick ass as it closes up the whole backstory, and has some really good resolve. I've already read the script, and again, say what you will about dialogue and all that, this has some very memorables lines / scenes, and some true emotion.

I'm not going to flame those that just think it's cool to bash these films because they either are "purists" to the original trilogy (and that whole stance is just tired, get over it) or just don't want to give in to their geek tendencies and suspecd disbelief for a little while and get jazzed about a good popcorn movie.

Peter Jackson made a great trilogy based on some very good, very old books.

Lucas made a compelling 6 part saga off the top of his head that has gone waaaaay beyond LOTR (movie version) in its hold on pop culture.

Stop comparing the two anyway, since it's really apples and oranges, and that comparo is tired too.

If you are expecting Dances with Wolves going in, please don't go...you'l just be another head in my way as I slip back into my childhood and take it all in.

(geek off)

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    As long as they skip the "lightsaber rave" this one should be good.

And I'm not buying the costume, I'm assembling it out of my myriad of black clothing and accessories (I'm color blind, so I've gradually evolved into dressing like a Sith lord every day in the interests of matching). I did shell out for the lightsaber, but only because I'd gotten a $100 for my birthday a few days previously.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I thought the Darth Siddius/Emperor guy was above Darth Vader?

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer

well , i posted it as a joke , it shows you who's good/evil.

but who knows , maybe the poster is foreshadowing.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    fwiw, i was at barnes and noble the other day, looking through a book on german language.

and there was a page on comparisons of some selected english and german words, to show the reader that they are related.

and the word for "father" is "vater." it took me all of two seconds to realize that this is why george lucas chose the word "vader" for his character.

...so i guess for german speakers, there wasn't too much of a surprise at the end of empire. :D

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually Vader is Dutch. Darth Vader means "Dark Father" in dutch, so no, there was probably not much surprise there.

I was just thinking about that the other day. Its such a common part of pop culture now that most people have a hard time seeing the ending of Empire as a surprise...but it was. I think I actually cried when I saw it in the theatre at age 5 or however old I was. I LOVED Star Wars, Luke was my hero, I couldn't imagine how Vader could POSSIBLY be his father...it was one of the most shocking moments of my childhood, the first time I'd seen a movie that did something REALLY BAD to a character I cared about.

I was talking to my girlfriend (who is 19) about this when she dropped another of her oh so cute generation gap bombs on me: she'd never seen Empire Strikes back in a theatre. :eek: Not only that she thought everyone simply knew, all along, that Vader was Luke's Father, and that he and Leia were sisters (actually she said "I always thought it was a little creepy the way Luke is trying to hit on his sister in Star Wars..." I had to explain that Luke, and consequently the audience, didn't learn the sister thing until Return of the Jedi. For her this has always been something everyone knew, and Star Wars has always been 3 movies next to eachother on a shelf in the video store, not an evolving saga that we had to wait to see unfold).

Aside from making me feel really old, it really made me think about how different our perception of movies becomes once their contents becomes part of modern folklore. Indeed Empire becomes much less big a deal when you know this stuff in advance.

17. Thats a really interesting way of looking at it. I'm somewhere between your gf and you as far as age goes (23) and to me, Star Wars was something I first saw at about the age of 7. I absolultely loved it. I've wanted a light sabre ever since then :D I'm not really sure if I saw them in sequence, I think I did, but the whole idea of the saga unfolding over time is something that I wish I had been a part of, rather than being able to see any one of the films at any time. I think waiting for something like that makes the experience more enjoyable. I suppose the only thing I've experienced that gets close was knowing that the original 3 were going to be re-released in the cinema in 1997. For me, that was exciting.

I watched a 'making of' the other day, and I was really amazed at just how much impact these movies had on a whole generation of viewers. It's really rare for films to have such an impact on so many people.

18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ah! that'd do it, then.

yeah, the first time i saw star wars, my parents rented one of the movies for us each week for three weeks. i was in kindergarten, so i guess 5 or 6 or whatever. watching one of the movies every week kind of helped recreate the suspense of having to wait for the story to unfold, as opposed to a marathon session (which my attention span probably wouldn't have allowed me to do, anyway!).

i remember, after empire, my brother and i could NOT believe that vader was luke's father (being that we didn't speak dutch and all). as in...we were not convinced that this was the truth of the situation. we had to "ruin it" by asking some friends who had already seen all three movies (and probably recommended we see them in the first place) if it were true or not. it was astonishing! i guess moreso than other people, we didn't want to believe that vader was luke's father (sorry if i ruined it for you! :D ).

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well you did, but not as much as the guy standing outside the theatre when I went to see EPI...he had a huge sign that read "Obi Wan Dies!" :)

20. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

:bawl:

:bag: