EQ for Sterling Ray34 with In Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Herring, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    so I recently traded my Fender MIM Jazz bass for a Sterling Ray 34 and I guess the active bass is taking me some getting used to and now I’m not sure how to go about messing with The EQ while playing at church where I’m wearing in ear monitors.

I’m not really a fan of in ear monitors but it’s what we use. So I guess I’m just nervous that if I mess around with the EQ so it sounds good in my ears, it will mess up the EQing that the sound guy is trying to get. Also, we don’t have the best soundguys in the world and my in ear mix is hardly ever good:(

I think I’m also having a little bit of buyers remorse and am thinking about selling the Sterling and getting another passive bass like. P bass perhaps and maybe even another Jazz Bass.

2. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    If there are no amps on stage it might be tough. I’d start flat, then add as much treble and bass on the Ray34 (which I also have) in order to achieve the desired sound, at the same time you don’t want to be overbearing in the mix. Seeing how you said your sound tech isn’t the best, I wouldn’t worry too much about dialing in the sound that is both pleasing to your ear and complementary in the mix.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Start flat and adjust from there. Going without an amp actually removes a lot of EQ options from the equation. I would assume that you'll probably want to cut some treble and boost the bass. Those basses can be kinda growly like the real things, and I don't know if that's the best sound for church. If it makes you feel better, 98% of the congregation probably won't notice or care.

4. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    The problem is that the mix in my ear is not the mix of the room so it’s hard to tell if I’m overbearing or getting drowned... one of the main reasons I hate in ear monitors especially when the mix is terrible. Yeah no amps on stage just using a sans amp straight xLR into the board.

5. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    Haha yeah... nah I want the growl ,) we play contemporary worship music that has some serious rock vibes so I like to have the growl.

But you are right. No body notices the bass player except other bass players, maybe the drummer. If you really want people to notice the bass,stop playing it or hit a few wrong notes haha

6. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    If your situation is typical, then congregants will make their displeasure known if something can’t be heard...or is overheard. If your sound tech is learning on the job that’d be a rough roe to hoe. If you’re able to dial in on your Ray34 (a growly beast, I might add) a good sound, it’s up to the sound tech to do his part to make sure you get that positive feedback in your in-ear setup. I switched over to drums (in church, 10 years ago), but before that I played bass and we used to make cassette copies of our services, and wouldn’t you know it, somewhere between my playing and the cassette making, my bass playing was nowhere to be found.

New Study Confirms Everything The Sound Guy's Fault

Jon Herring likes this.
  7. Jon Herring

Jon Herring

Aug 7, 2018
    I was listening last week in service and the drums and bass were super low and it made me sad to think that the main rhythm section driving the band was not being represented correctly :(

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021