EQ pedal for upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by shwashwa, Jun 13, 2004.

1. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    i notice that harvie s (formerly harvie swartz) uses a boss bass eq pedal. i think he keeps it on all the time. i was wondering if guys had success with graphic eq's and the upright. i see that the fishman is a popular choice. i also notice that the boss has 7 bands as opposed to the 5 of the fishman. also the boss is footswitchable, which might be good for getting a slightly different tone for solos and even a slight volume boost. any comments?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's been my general experience that if the sound coming out of your axe is that far off that you need a graphic, then you're not going to get much of sound anyhow. I played with one for a long time back in the old days. One day, having arrived at the gig early, I pulled the graphic out of line and tried to get the same sound with just amp adjustment, got it and then some. I was using the Boss that you mention, sending signal from an Underwood to a Polytone 12" (that was high-tech in those days).

My current setup is a WW into a 12" cab with an adjustable tweeter. There is so much possible adjustment that it can be maddening. There would be nothing more a graphic could do to help my setup not sound like it has a Realist in line.
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I use one sometimes (a dod bass eq 7 bands) for a couple reasons. I agree that it really doesn't do anything that I can't do with my amp, but on large stages when my amp is quite a way's back it alows me to reach down and tweak a frequency here or there without having to drag my bass back to my amp. It is also easier to hear the adjustment that you make if your not right on top of your amp.

I run it very close to flat with a minor cut here or there.

It can also be useful if there is a differnt eq set up you like for a particuler style of playing or song, you can have it preset and them engage it for that song.