Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 19, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am trying to clean up a live recording, and have a couple of questions.

What frequency do I need to cut to get rid of a boomy bass drum?

On one of the tracks, the bass is too loud. What is the best frequency to cut to deemphasize bass guitar?

On a couple of tracks, the female vocalist is too quiet. What is the best frequency to tweak to bring out her voice?

Is there any decent, freeware recording program that has a 2/3, 1/2, or 1/3 octave equalizer?

Thanks!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    To answer the last one, Sound forge works for me. If not that, then Cubase. I use S.F. for my EQing though. I can't really help you with the rest of the parts.... can you do just volume adjusts on the individual tracks, or no?

Ray

3. embellisher

No. It is a CD of a concert we did, recorded from the mixing console. They did a mix for us before they burned it, but it is a very crappy mix. I could have done it better myself.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ah. If you need a copy of S.F. I can uh, help *cough* PM me *cough*. That's excatly what I do, mix at the board and record, and use S.F. for everything. If you want like screen shots of the EQ section of it PM me. Heck, you got AIM, just drop me an IM :).

Ray

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. for the bass drum, cut around 250-500Hz.
    for female vocals, u could try boosting frequencies between 1-3kHz. what type of eq r u using? wat program are u using? u'd be better using the faders to make something louder or quieter. but the boominess in the bass drum should be around 250-500Hz. hope this helps

Peace :bassist:
    Chips

7. embellisher

I can't use the faders, because it is a stereo recording, already mixed down to two tracks.

I was using GoldWave, but it doesn't have specific enough EQ, and introduced some noise.

Trying Sound Forge tomorrow night, maybe that will help.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Is there any decent, freeware recording program that has a 2/3, 1/2, or 1/3 octave equalizer?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    The big drawback to this program is that EQ changes must be rendered before you can hear the results.

Also N-Track (www.fasoft.com) costs a bit, but has a really nice real time parametric EQ plugin, and a graphic EQ one.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Being as it is already a crappy mix I really don't think you are going to be able to do a whole lot.

A lot of times the mud of a Kick drum is right around 350

You may even try rolling off everything below 60 or 80, I know that sounds bad but sometimes it will tighten things up a bit.

Your quite singer may be in trouble. The problem with boosting the frequencies that the human voice is in, is there are a lot of other instruments in that same range. Guitar, lower register of cymbols and other over tones and such.

Multiband compression would probobly serve you well.

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Fiddle with the EQ till the mix is better (what the other guys said) then have the female singer do an overdub. It's worked for us several times.